INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi whites! I'm trying not to laugh while I listen to my boys crowing. I think baby roosters trying to crow for the first time is the funniest sound ever, I got little buff rooster that currently sounds like he's dying!
gig.gif

Last edited:
:smack Phil your like my DH   just go right up to them why dont you!  just like trout fishing in a small creek, yea lets go wade in the water and catch fish....  try walkin in real light on your feet up just close enough to toss a fly, yet not caught in tree/brush
the streams I fish you cannot wade...you crawl on your belly under the Bush....you could step over them.....then you dangle a crawler....yup....way too thick to cast....but the rewards are worth it....Brookies!!!....and trust me most brook trout are under 6 inches so these are giants.....freaking great eaters too!!!

Good catch! How do you intend to prepare them?

Hi whites! I'm trying not to laugh while I listen to my boys crowing. I think baby roosters trying to crow for the first time is the funniest sound ever, I got little buff rooster that currently sounds like he's dying!
gig.gif

I've got four right now that are just starting to crow! They sound like boys going through puberty!

gig.gif
Glad to see you didn't get scared off
gig.gif

I've never experienced first time crowers; all of mine have come from the feed store as 16 week pullets. Have had a few roosters over the years, but never had a broody hen willing to set more than a couple days. I've had an incubator all along, but wasn't set up for babies that weren't born into the flock. I did manage to hatch 3/5 back in the early fall, but turned the heat lamp in the brooder off too quick & lost them.

Seems pretty clever, I would be worried that it might be a bit flimsy once filled with eggs though. ( I never like the foam egg cartons) do you have any eggs to put in it to see how it handles the weight? Why rocks and not sponges? To keep it from tipping?
I have thick plastic egg cartons with handles on them that are for camping. I found them at Walmart. I wound use something like that so nothing would get too floppy. I too have a little giant, but mine is still air and the hatch rate is awful. I can't figure it out. It's the worst bator ever.

I have thick plastic egg cartons with handles on them that are for camping. I found them at Walmart. I wound use something like that so nothing would get too floppy. I too have a little giant, but mine is still air and the hatch rate is awful. I can't figure it out. It's the worst bator ever.

Hey @jlashaw welcome to the thread!
frow.gif
probably everything with the bator.... but we can help you out... but I suggest upgrade or making a coolerbator

Go with a Hov-a-bator styro if you don't want to drop a bunch of $$ on a Brinsea. I activated one that had not been used for about 30 yrs, but still worked fine. The thermostat's a bit touchy, but holds pretty well once you find the "sweet spot". IDK, but they may have changed the stat on the newer models.

I've got four right now that are just starting to crow! They sound like boys going through puberty!

I know! My family will just start laughing sometimes if we hear a really awful one.
lau.gif
I almost feel sorry for them!
Glad to see you didn't get scared off
gig.gif

I've never experienced first time crowers; all of mine have come from the feed store as 16 week pullets. Have had a few roosters over the years, but never had a broody hen willing to set more than a couple days. I've had an incubator all along, but wasn't set up for babies that weren't born into the flock. I did manage to hatch 3/5 back in the early fall, but turned the heat lamp in the brooder off too quick & lost them.
Aww, that's sad!
sad.png
Well if you ever find yourself with a baby rooster they are quite the entertainment!

I know! My family will just start laughing sometimes if we hear a really awful one.
lau.gif
I almost feel sorry for them!
Aww, that's sad!
sad.png
Well if you ever find yourself with a baby rooster they are quite the entertainment!
I'm sure I will, at some point. With my luck, I'd never get a majority of girls. Next time I incubate, I think I'll test the theory that the rounder eggs produce girls

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom