INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have cream legbar eggs on the way, not sure how many yet, but as many as i can get. i will probably incubate some barnyard mixes from a friends farm (ive taken to calling them 'brown haven' eggs, ha!. i am using a little giant with a fan and no turner. i can a hydrometer/thermometer to use and the the incubator should be calibrated from my last (poor) hatch. tomorrow the eggs are shipping and i will plug the incubator in then. the temp im going to keep the same 37.5 C but i would like to work with a lower humidity.....my last hatch was between 50-60 % with lockdown being 60-70%, there were also a couple very high spikes when i tried to adjust the humidity up for lockdown. this hatch i want to try 35% throughout and 50-65% on lockdown. i just devised a little 'manual' egg turner for my self that i am hoping will help me keep the humidity even. i thought i could move the cartons from side to side of the lids (like in the first and second picture) and fill the rock filled lids with water to keep the humidity i desire....that way if it goes to high i can remove the lid and replace it with a dry backup any thoughts on if this will be efficent?
Seems pretty clever, I would be worried that it might be a bit flimsy once filled with eggs though. ( I never like the foam egg cartons) do you have any eggs to put in it to see how it handles the weight? Why rocks and not sponges? To keep it from tipping?

Seems pretty clever, I would be worried that it might be a bit flimsy once filled with eggs though. ( I never like the foam egg cartons) do you have any eggs to put in it to see how it handles the weight? Why rocks and not sponges? To keep it from tipping?
the eggs are to keep it stable once the eggs are in it....also, i figured if i kept them in there through the hatch, this would keep the water from being deep enough to drown a chick..... i know the incubator has wells, but this seems easier to alter without disturbing the eggs.

when on lock down would one keep the eggs tilts or place them flat up and down or on there sides? before this i had my eggs like they would lay in the nest the whole time and im not sure what action i should take when i reach lockdown if using this meythod

Subscribing
ya.gif

i have cream legbar eggs on the way, not sure how many yet, but as many as i can get. i will probably incubate some barnyard mixes from a friends farm (ive taken to calling them 'brown haven' eggs, ha!. i am using a little giant with a fan and no turner. i can a hydrometer/thermometer to use and the the incubator should be calibrated from my last (poor) hatch. tomorrow the eggs are shipping and i will plug the incubator in then. the temp im going to keep the same 37.5 C but i would like to work with a lower humidity.....my last hatch was between 50-60 % with lockdown being 60-70%, there were also a couple very high spikes when i tried to adjust the humidity up for lockdown. this hatch i want to try 35% throughout and 50-65% on lockdown. i just devised a little 'manual' egg turner for my self that i am hoping will help me keep the humidity even. i thought i could move the cartons from side to side of the lids (like in the first and second picture) and fill the rock filled lids with water to keep the humidity i desire....that way if it goes to high i can remove the lid and replace it with a dry backup

any thoughts on if this will be efficent?

Just to be on the safe side, I'd fire the incubator up now & just let it cook til you're ready to fill it; sometimes those controls can be finicky, even when they haven't been touched since the last hatch. Nothing to lose but a couple day's electric.

I'm gonna get in a lot of trouble subscribing here. There will be chicks and eggs everywhere. Like a HAL that never ends! Yeah

the eggs are to keep it stable once the eggs are in it....also, i figured if i kept them in there through the hatch, this would keep the water from being deep enough to drown a chick..... i know the incubator has wells, but this seems easier to alter without disturbing the eggs.

when on lock down would one keep the eggs tilts or place them flat up and down or on there sides?  before this i had my eggs like they would lay in the nest the whole time and im not sure what action i should take when i reach lockdown if using this meythod

During lockdown they should be placed on their side with the largest segment of the aircell up I think. I'm doing my first hatch, so I could be remembering what I read wrong.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd fire the incubator up now & just let it cook til you're ready to fill it; sometimes those controls can be finicky, even when they haven't been touched since the last hatch. Nothing to lose but a couple day's electric.

I was gonna say that too. I ran mine for 4 days trying to figure everything out. Though I was using my own eggs so I didn't have to wait on shipped eggs.

During lockdown they should be placed on their side with the largest segment of the aircell up I think. I'm doing my first hatch, so I could be remembering what I read wrong.
I was gonna say that too. I ran mine for 4 days trying to figure everything out. Though I was using my own eggs so I didn't have to wait on shipped eggs.
that sounds like a good plan! also doesnt hurt to fire it up now i suppose...that way i can test my new water holder. ha byw it turns out only one of the lids will fit, which means the other will be my backup. i will just sawp the trays to opposite sides of the lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom