INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ant's air cells were too big too early. Had to slow the growth on them so the chicks would have enough room to move into hatching positions. Too little humidity when the chick pips/zips will make the membrane tough. If you've ever pulled an egg to assist, you'll know that the membrane dries and starts turning brown very quickly. It's drying out and turns rubbery, which can be nearly impossible for a chick to tear though...
wink.png
I've never attempted an assist; wouldn't trust myself, but your explanation made sense to me. I knew there was a reason I got up this morning; that must've been it.

Okay, but only because I owe you...

50% was to keep the air cells from growing. Mission accomplished. However, for lockdown you'll need at least 60% RH to soften the membrane and make it easier for the chicks to zip. Once the chicks move into hatching position, their metabolism is going to skyrocket, and the moisture loss in the egg is going to speed up. You need to keep it high to compensate for this.

Edit: I read it too fast, and was in a hurry to get forgiven. The answer is yes... keep it at 50% until lockdown. Then crank it up. Sorry....
Forgiven.
hugs.gif

big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

I've never attempted an assist; wouldn't trust myself, but your explanation made sense to me. I knew there was a reason I got up this morning; that must've been it.
I would hope it was for a lot more important reasons than that... but thanks. That's why it's important to raise the humidity and keep the bator closed during lockdown. Losing humidity in the bator during lockdown can spell death to chicks... but why? We're not trying to soften the shell. It's always hard, but breaks easier when it's dry. The inner membrane is the complete opposite. It tears easiest when it's moist.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom