INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
This might seem like a ridiculous question (but has been over 20years since I had ducks) do people vaccinate ducks sometimes?

@ChickenCanoe was right, Duchess got out again but I noticed before sundown and went looking. Spied a white-speckled black patch under the hedge. Secret nest indeed, looked to be several days worth of eggs! She probably was getting out regularly and laying them, then sneaking back in.

All hers!

Last edited:
I don't understand that resistant. She did not know what day/year it was after it, has continued to have headaches, and was so dizzy while driving last night she left her car on railroad tracks because she could not drive more.
Between strokes and aneurisms resistant or suicidal is the question.
Did not realize she was that bad :*(

@ChickenCanoe was right, Duchess got out again but I noticed before sundown and went looking. Spied a white-speckled black patch under the hedge. Secret nest indeed, looked to be several days worth of eggs! She probably was getting out regularly and laying them, then sneaking back in.

All hers!
Nice! Glad you found them.

I have a Dom hen who is acting broody. One set of shipped eggs due to hatch towards end of next week, and a set of my own eggs due next Sunday. If she stays the nest, I'm tempted to try to let her have some of my eggs. This may be the same gal who successfully hatched chicks last summer.

All hers!

Omg the mother load!

She was a plucker - I can't remember where she was living at the time. It might have been Hawaii or Samoa. Would have been early 80's.

I currently have a 10 gallon fish tank - with just enough water for the heater to work. (A much smaller tank would have worked much better) I took a mason jar and drilled 2 small holes in the cover and filled the jar half way. It floats in the warm fish tank. I have an aquarium air bubbler. I ran a tube from the bubbler into one of the holes on the mason jar lid, down into the water (I had to super glue it to keep it somewhat air tight and in place). I fed a second tube into the mason jar, anchoring it well above the water, and ran that tube into the ventilation hole on the incubator. Air is pumped into the warm water in the mason jar, and then warm moist air is pumped into the 'bator. I run that only during lock down. Since I started doing that, I have had much better hatches.

I do have a valve on it that allows me to speed up or slow down the air flow going in to the mason jar, which in turns cuts down or increases the amount going into the incubator.

Tomorrow I'll take a photo of the whole set up. Here is just a photo of the 'bator, with the tube running into it, with the fish tank contraption to the left.

Plucker was a hard job with little pay. I knew a bunch of people that all lived together in Arkansas. They all worked in the chicken business, catchers, pluckers, eviscerators, muckers, etc.. They were so poor. It took all of them to afford to rent a crappy house and fill it with hand me down furniture. If that wasn't bad enough, they lived in a dry county and had to drive to Oklahoma for beer. Then they had to drink it warm because they didn't have a refrigerator. Those were about the only jobs in that area.
Now most of that work is automated - at least the processing part.

Very clever on the humidifier setup.
I use an aquarium air pump just to bring air into the incubator and hatcher. It has a splitter so I can regulate flow into the incubator or hatcher. I might try something like you have for the incubator but my hatcher stays pretty humid. I have a gallon glass wine bottle upside down in a PVC coupling and a tube going into a pan above the incubator. Hatcher air is forced across the eggs up past a heat element, across the water pan, down past another heat element, past another water reservoir and back across the eggs.

Last edited:

All hers!
Nice!! Our escape artist that used to fly out and have a nest under some railroad ties, but moved to a rotted tree stump when we moved the RR ties, then to a box that had a spare puppy pad in it when we made the tree stump part of their run, has decided it's too much work to jump out. But now I have a new escape artist that jumps out of the run, into a wheelbarrow, into a carboard box, sitting on top of dirty wood chip bedding from the baby pen - she has made a nice nest from straw, and has been laying for 3 or 4 days. Prior to leaving the run, she'd use the same ones the other hens used, but must have had to wait too long one day, so found a better spot.

Nice!! Our escape artist that used to fly out and have a nest under some railroad ties, but moved to a rotted tree stump when we moved the RR ties, then to a box that had a spare puppy pad in it when we made the tree stump part of their run, has decided it's too much work to jump out. But now I have a new escape artist that jumps out of the run, into a wheelbarrow, into a carboard box, sitting on top of dirty wood chip bedding from the baby pen - she has made a nice nest from straw, and has been laying for 3 or 4 days. Prior to leaving the run, she'd use the same ones the other hens used, but must have had to wait too long one day, so found a better spot.

I used to have a Jaerhon hen that would fly out of her pen, fly into one of the Penedesenca breeding pens, take the chance of getting attacked go into the coop to lay her egg and then retrace her steps. I have no idea how she knew there was a nest in there. She had never been in that building before.

Plucker was a hard job with little pay. I knew a bunch of people that all lived together in Arkansas. They all worked in the chicken business, catchers, pluckers, eviscerators, muckers, etc.. They were so poor. It took all of them to afford to rent a crappy house and fill it with hand me down furniture. If that wasn't bad enough, they lived in a dry county and had to drive to Oklahoma for beer. Then they had to drink it warm because they didn't have a refrigerator. Those were about the only jobs in that area.

Very clever on the humidifier setup.
I use an aquarium air pump just to bring air into the incubator and hatcher. It has a splitter so I can regulate flow into the incubator or hatcher. I might try something like you have for the incubator but my hatcher stays pretty humid. I have a gallon glass wine bottle upside down in a PVC coupling and a tube going into a pan above the incubator. Hatcher air is forced across the eggs up past a heat element, across the water pan, down past another heat element, past another water reservoir and back across the eggs.
I'd love to see a photo of your set up!! That is probably in your cabinet 'bator, right? I think that would be overkill for that little incuview - which has seen it's last hatch! I just bought another Brinsea to use as a hatching 'bator.

Ok, I will ask again on the question of extra oxygen during incubation.... I leave the red plug in for the first 10 days to RESTRICT oxygen, but I don't add the extra O2 on days 10 to 19. Is there any reason to add it prior to lock down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom