INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone! Thanks againful the info on the cabinet bators. I will Chek out the link and the DIY section tonight while I am at work lol. I don't ( breed ) the dogs.. yet.. I would love a litter from lizzy my yellow bit we will see. I just really enjoy working them and seeing their natural ability come out. @Sally Sunshine
@Wheatfields you have nicname you wish us to call you by or just wheatfields? And your very welcome! Good luck, we are here anytime you need help or feel like yapping! Have a fantastic day!

Quote:
WELL DONE!!!! What a great job and some FANTASTIC looking little chicks too!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!
pumpgirl.gif
james2.gif

It has cooled off here but still very humid. Highs will be in the 80s (up to 30+C) for the next couple weeks.

Chess is the gymnasium of the brain.

Are there any rooms he doesn't go in much?

I have eggs due to hatch in 26 hours. I was about to candle and I have 2 pips so I guess I'll just wait and see what hatches.
we had 50* this morning high was listed as 67, it was 48 a couple days ago and a high of 85
i prefer cribbage to chess
lol!!!
fl.gif

I can't believe it! ALL TEN EGGS HATCHED! They were shipped eggs, this was my first ever hatch, and all ten hatched. I am walking on clouds!

Thats great! And an AMAZING hatch rate!! Congratulations!!! so cute!!

Thank you all for your congratulations! After reading that 50% hatch rate is considered good odds for shipped eggs, you can imagine my surprise when one after one zipped and pipped! It has to be beginner's luck because the temperatures were all wrong twice. Of course the eggs had to rest for a day before setting. Before putting the eggs in the cheap thermal air hovabator, there were huge daytime/nighttime temp swings. After getting advice here I tested my three thermometers for accuracy and used the best one, I put some glass decorating marbles (that's all I had on hand) in the water to act as heat sinks, then wrapped the lower half of the incubator with tinfoil. That fixed the problem. Since there was no fan in there, I kept the temperature of 102F. Thermometer was resting at the same level as the top of the eggs. The eggs were kept close together but not touching, and I turned them 3 times a day as gently as humanly possible. Added water as needed. Temps started to spike as lockdown day approached I had to turn it down, and down, and down, until the temps finally stayed put at 102 degrees. It was SO nerve wracking! Then at lockdown I added a little extra water and a wet washcloth, then just left the eggs alone and kept my eyes on the thermometer. On day 20 I reduced temps to 98, the to 97 when all but 2 were hatched. It took less than 48 hours for them to all hatch.

Edit to add - Kera Ferri is the breeder. I found her on the facebook page called "Real Ameraucana Marketplace". She knows Susan Mouw (another great breeder btw) and Kera is on the Ameraucana Breeder's Club's list of Ameraucana breeders. 100% of the eggs she shipped were fertile, so I am totally recommending her!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your congratulations! After reading that 50% hatch rate is considered good odd for shipped eggs, you can imagine my surprise when one after one zipped and pipped! It has to be beginner's luck because the temperatures were all wrong twice. Of course the eggs had to rest for a day before setting. Before putting the eggs in the cheap thermal air hovabator, there were huge daytime/nighttime temp swings. After getting advice here I tested my three thermometers for accuracy and used the best one, I put some glass decorating marbles (that's all I had on hand) in the water to act as heat sinks, then wrapped the lower half of the incubator with tinfoil. That fixed the problem. Since there was no fan in there, I kept the temperature of 102F. Thermometer was resting at the same level as the top of the eggs. The eggs were kept close together but not touching, and I turned them 3 times a day as gently as humanly possible. Added water as needed. Temps started to spike as lockdown day approached I had to turn it down, and down, and down, until the temps finally stayed put at 102 degrees. It was SO nerve wracking! Then at lockdown I added a little extra water and a wet washcloth, then just left the eggs alone and kept my eyes on the thermometer. On day 20 I reduced temps to 98, the to 97 when all but 2 were hatched. It took less than 48 hours for them to all hatch.
great hatch!! Thank you for sharing with everyone!!!

@Wheatfields you have nicname you wish us to call you by or just wheatfields? And your very welcome! Good luck, we are here anytime you need help or feel like yapping! Have a fantastic day! WELL DONE!!!! What a great job and some FANTASTIC looking little chicks too!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!
pumpgirl.gif
james2.gif
Sorry my name is Paul.. nice to meet everyone. Wheat is my last name.. so.. Wheatfields is my Lil farm lol

Thank you all for your congratulations! After reading that 50% hatch rate is considered good odd for shipped eggs, you can imagine my surprise when one after one zipped and pipped! It has to be beginner's luck because the temperatures were all wrong twice. Of course the eggs had to rest for a day before setting. Before putting the eggs in the cheap thermal air hovabator, there were huge daytime/nighttime temp swings. After getting advice here I tested my three thermometers for accuracy and used the best one, I put some glass decorating marbles (that's all I had on hand) in the water to act as heat sinks, then wrapped the lower half of the incubator with tinfoil. That fixed the problem. Since there was no fan in there, I kept the temperature of 102F. Thermometer was resting at the same level as the top of the eggs. The eggs were kept close together but not touching, and I turned them 3 times a day as gently as humanly possible. Added water as needed. Temps started to spike as lockdown day approached I had to turn it down, and down, and down, until the temps finally stayed put at 102 degrees. It was SO nerve wracking! Then at lockdown I added a little extra water and a wet washcloth, then just left the eggs alone and kept my eyes on the thermometer. On day 20 I reduced temps to 98, the to 97 when all but 2 were hatched. It took less than 48 hours for them to all hatch.
That is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom