INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda freaking out - the eggs arrived, 8 of them, and all intact, in one piece, and set small side down in the egg carton.

HOWEVER - the post office didn't tell me they got here, so they spent the night in an AC'd building over night. I've got them in the bathroom to settle, but i'm worried that a night at the post office might have killed them?

Please tell me they are okay :(
They should be fine. Some folks hatch refrigerated eggs with no problems

Kinda freaking out - the eggs arrived, 8 of them, and all intact, in one piece, and set small side down in the egg carton.

HOWEVER - the post office didn't tell me they got here, so they spent the night in an AC'd building over night. I've got them in the bathroom to settle, but i'm worried that a night at the post office might have killed them?

They should be fine sitting in an AC post office over night.

After hatching questions...

First question: Just had my first hatch (ever) and (there are still eggs due of same group, but haven't pip'd yet) The second chick to hatch had started to have the egg skin turn tan and start drying, so as I read over and over to be sure, I assisted. I had to dab water on the baby and get it unglued, and such, I let it finish the hatching out of the bottom of its egg shell on its own though. It started flopping around and kicking wildly, unlike the first chick who pip'd and zipped in an hour and was nearly staggering laps around the bator... Now that its a little more stable and "dry" I have put the three who were out in the brooder and to get a better look at them... the one in question's outer toe on both feet (feathered due to being a French maran) is kinda shriveled and small and both are just folding under the foot, so the chick looks like it has 3 toed feet... Im guessing this was an incubating mess up while it was developing, and not sure the toes are going to stay, that's how little and shriveled they look... do I bother trying to do the sandle get up that I read about on here, or let them be for a day or two to see if they stay first?

Second question: I have one that hatched from a much larger egg from the rest of the marans and it is a larger chick (big ol belly to it), It has been free of its shell about 2 hrs or so and has pretty much been only sleeping... occasionally it freaks out, thrashes, then goes back to sleep. How long is too long for this resting its doing? The other three are doing the typical up and chirping/moving for 5 seconds then snoozing for 30 seconds and repeat, so I know they are doing good...

third question: The three chicks have made a pretty sticky dirty mess of the inside of the incubator, including pooping twice already in there before moving, im assuming this is still ok for the next chicks that may or may not come out?

TIA
caf.gif
You have a pic of the toes? Resting is fine, does breathing seem to be ok. Yes, a little poop happens.

Quote:
ep.gif

Quote: Still fighting the anxiety, but a bit better with medication, thanks
I'm glad she is a little better with the medication, certainly pray that she continues to improve.
Dr. upped the meds .....grrrrrrr
Oh sorry to hear that. Has she been willing to lighten her schedule at all?
Shes learning to delegate; not natural for her.
That's difficult, could the delegating actually be making her more anxious, at least in the short term until she is becomes used to it?

let them settle AC up for at least 12 hours, make sure to check your air cells,
being in the ac was probably a good thing
Thank you for your advice. I was wondering if I should do that. She is currently sitting on 10 eggs that are between 9-14 days (i think). I have 14 in the incubator that fall into that range as well. Then I have 6 eggs that I just put in this last Sunday afternoon.

The hen is a pullet I am surprised that she went broody as she has only laid 27 eggs since she started laying August 2. She is my smallest hen. Do you think she can handle 30 eggs? or should I do less? I am very new to hatching and chickens.
Sorry for all the questions.

as many as she can cover then take 1 away
but you want them to be as close to the same hatch date, within a day or 2, once they start popping she'll start getting antsy

They should be fine sitting in an AC post office over night.

You have a pic of the toes? Resting is fine, does breathing seem to be ok. Yes, a little poop happens.

That's difficult, could the delegating actually be making her more anxious, at least in the short term until she is becomes used to it?
Since they settled over night, do they still need to sit for 8-12 hours before putting them in the incubator? I worry about them getting too old, since they post office failed to tell me they arrived, and weren't planning on telling me at all.

let them settle AC up for at least 12 hours, make sure to check your air cells,
being in the ac was probably a good thing

as many as she can cover then take 1 away
but you want them to be as close to the same hatch date, within a day or 2, once they start popping she'll start getting antsy

Thank you so much I will candle tomorrow night after my new phone arrives so i can get nice pictures and make sure all are developing at the same day or two. I will give her all the oldest ones. That should give me time to get another incubator for lock down.

Quote:
ep.gif

Quote: Still fighting the anxiety, but a bit better with medication, thanks
I'm glad she is a little better with the medication, certainly pray that she continues to improve.
Dr. upped the meds .....grrrrrrr
Oh sorry to hear that. Has she been willing to lighten her schedule at all?
Shes learning to delegate; not natural for her.
Possibly

They are fine!!!

Quote: I agree, also we did have a brahma roo that threw three toes and a stump, he was immediately taken out of our breeding pen.

KAjira, they are fine!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom