Incubating wild egg

WaterfowlLover

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
I recently found an egg under a bush that I know these wild Muscovy ducks were sitting under, maybe an hour or 2 before I saw a crow rolling it around. I took it and attempted to create an incubator with a shoe box. I don’t want to spend money on an incubator since it’s one egg. (I don’t own any ducks. I have no experience in any of this, but really want to try to hatch it. The Muscovy ducks around the lake behind my house seem to never sit on their eggs. A neighbor told me they drop them on roofs and they roll off and break. Anyway, so I think it’s been 4 days and I have it on a towel in the shoebox with a 40 watt lamp on top of the box (outside the box) with a hole cut out. I also have a small bowl with water inside and some aluminum foil. I have a cooking thermometer set right above the egg to read the temp. I’ve tried to keep it around 99 and have a tower fan nearby the box just to circulate some air Bc it’s in my garage. Is this pointless? Is there anyway this can work? Any pointers to make this successful? Thank you in advance.

Where are you from? It is illegal to hatch their eggs, or even disturb nests from wild ducks in the US.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/migratory-bird-treaty-act.1369922/
Hello. I’m in FL. It was not a nest for sure. It was just randomly dropped and left under my neighbor’s bush. And had I not intervened the crow would have had it for lunch. I was not aware it was illegal to hatch a wild egg. 😢 So am I supposed to just toss it? Also, in FL it’s legal to catch and or kill Muscovy ducks, so I doubt they’re on the list, which I skimmed and don’t see them on. People here do not love or appreciate them.

Hello. I’m in FL. It was not a nest for sure. It was just randomly dropped and left under my neighbor’s bush. And had I not intervened the crow would have had it for lunch. I was not aware it was illegal to hatch a wild egg. 😢 So am I supposed to just toss it?
I would have done the same, if I didn't know it was illegal. Yes, I would just toss it.

Back
Top Bottom