Incubation Help!

tcholloway47

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Blue Ridge, GA
Okay, I have been trying to hatch and I am about to pull my hair out. I have incubated 7 batches of eggs, usually small batches (4-5) eggs at a time and 1 of those batches were shipped eggs. Out of these all of my chicks seem to make it to lockdown or close to it then die. I have only had three actually hatch. What am I doing wrong?

First off, buy the book by Gail Damerow titled Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks. I think it's a necessity.

Did you candle at anytime during incubation? What did you see? The reason I'm asking is to make sure they actually made it to lockdown then died.

What was your temp and humidity during incubation?

Did you stop turning the eggs on day 18?

Did you have the POINTY end DOWN during incubation?

Are the eggs coming from different sources (I know 1 batch was shipped), what about the others?

It could be lots of things, but we need more information on how you are incubating.

Thanks. I will be getting that book. My temps seem to stay pretty steady around 99.5 if my thermometer is correct. I was keeping my humidity around 55 until these last ones and I decided to try the dry method keeping it between 25 & 45. I do candle and see growth and movement up until lockdown. I have rarely seen movement at lockdown but I don't know if it is because it is harder to see or they are already dead. So, my chicks are dying in the last week.

It sounds like you've got your temp and humidity under control. Candling during the last 3 days will not show much, and it's hard to tell if they're alive cause they're so squeezed in there. They barely move. I'm kinda stumped as to why they're dying at the end, cause it could be a number of things from not keeping the pointy end down, not turning during incubation, not stopping turning the last 3 days, genetic issues, sanitation issue, etc. The best bet is to get the book, and after reading through it I'm confident you'll find the answer.

I have had many chickens before. I am not locking them down before they are ready, oh by the way wash you hands before you touch your eggs.
lol.png
LOL

Last edited:
You say you candle , from top you can see the air cell. Do you mark the air cell early on and see if it gets bigger. I know with the batch of pheasants i just hatched i candled from the top and still could see some move when i put them in the hatcher.

Hi all, I have a just-in-case question...

I have eggs in a small fan forced (is that the correct term?) incubator. Its just a flat mesh tray with a water tray underneath, approximately 12 egg capacity (I have just two eggs right now).
My question is what do you do if you have a power outage/blackout? This is just a regular suburban house with mains power (no generator). We are expecting stormy weather in next couple of days, the power COULD go out.
If I dont open the incubator could the eggs be fine for a while if the power is out?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom