Incubation period for finch eggs?

Hi

I have a interesting question .... Sorry to intrude your thread but can't seem to start my own.

I an super new to the world of finches ... But seem to have a nack with all animals and have good over all experience .... But here is one that got me thinking..

Once gouldine finches have layed there eggsis it possible to leave the cage open so they can "free range "

thank
Matt

Sorry to butt in… I can't not say something…. sorry.
Baby Finches do NOT have to be fed overnight. The parents don't even feed overnight. Think about it… in the wild are there birds flying around at night gathering food for their chicks?
Only parrot type species need to eat overnight.
Parents stop feeding around dark, resume at first light.

Don't make more work for yourself

Hi! Okay so I am new to this site and now a completely new "house finch mom" assuming this egg that I rescued survives in my homemade incubator. Here is the situation....any feedback or comments/tips would be GREATLY appreciated as I really have no idea what I am doing but couldn't let the egg sit out and die if there was a fraction of a change I could save it. I had a pair of house finches build a nest on my patio and got to watch them build the nest and lay 5 eggs. The last egg was laid around 3/31/16 and she was began incubating the eggs around 3/29/16 so this one egg that I have should hatch around the 11th or 12th of April 2016. I checked on the egg earlier this evening (4/5/16) because I noticed the mom was not laying on them like she normally always does. When I checked, all the eggs we gone except for one. :(

I candled the egg and saw veins, the embryo and air sac which was a sign it was in fact fertile but didn't really notice movement. I decided to give it a chance to warm up under my lamp and chencked it two hours later and sure enough, the embryo was moving! Yay!

Now, I am fully aware that this egg may not survive overnight let alone to hatch but I will do my best. From what I read online, I marked each side with an "X" and "O" and will rotate it every couple hours although one site said 3 times per 24 hours which means rotating about every 8 hours. Is this correct? I am gone throughout the day so this would be ideal and manageable given my schedule.

For the homemade incubator, I have a small lamp raised up over the nest (which consists of a small ceramic bowl and a soft cloth) via books. I also have a small thermometer next to the egg to monitor temp which has been constant around 100 degrees F. I also have a small bowl of water with a small sponge to provide humidity.

If anyone could provide any details or important information that I have not mentioned or am doing wrong, please comment below. Also, if anyone knows where I could find a cheap, good working incubator for this little egg (the size of a jelly bean) that would be awesome!!!

Thank you so much....sorry for the long post! Have a great day!

- Melissa

Society and zebra finches are very good parents.I would definetly let the parents raise them.I have never heard of anyone having any luck hand feeding finches,but I suppose it is possible.14 days to hatch.
In N.H.,Tony.

@melclark here's how I raised one https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hand-raising-a-society-finch-from-an-egg-with-pictures. It was hard work so I would definitely recommend trying to get the parents to raise it though.

Also the turning doesn't have to be super exact, as long as the egg is rotated even once a day is ok, although 3 times is much better.

Not sure about where you can get a cheep incubator, but you could check out these homemade ones, they have some good tips
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-easy-cooler-incubator

Back
Top Bottom