Incubation period

pr78sb

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2016
I know that the incubation period is 21 days but I have a broody hen who has been sitting on 7 eggs for 25 days now. This is her first time going broody so I candled the eggs yesterday and only one shows any sign of life. I can see a dark part of the egg but I can still see veins in the egg. Is this normal and how long should I wait to just give up? This is my first time so any advice will help me. Thanks

I know that the incubation period is 21 days but I have a broody hen who has been sitting on 7 eggs for 25 days now. This is her first time going broody so I candled the eggs yesterday and only one shows any sign of life. I can see a dark part of the egg but I can still see veins in the egg. Is this normal and how long should I wait to just give up? This is my first time so any advice will help me. Thanks

Unless an egg was put under the hen long after she started brooding, it is doubtful that any are still alive. And are you positive of the dates?

If you post a picture of the egg while its being candled, the group may be able to tell if it is still viable.

I am positive of the dates and I candled it last night and can see a pulse. Not sure why it is taking extra time to develop.

another thing too, the other hens will add to her clutch, unless you have her separated from them. Did you mark the eggs she first started with? so it could be that one was given to her later.

hens will 'nest jump' too, if she got down to get water, feed or to poo, came back and another hen was on her nest, she'd go sit on another one, so the original eggs could have gotten cold and quit before she moved back to them. Another reason to separate her and her eggs from the flock, no nest jumping!

She is separated from the rest of the hens so all of the eggs are hers. Going to give her some more time and check back in a week if nothing has happened.

Back
Top Bottom