Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Just took these pictures and I am introducing the little one to the flock. It's a constant vigil as sometimes the others want to peck on him and I don't want his navel damaged. He is moving a bit now and seems to be stronger, but he hasn't any outside nourishment yet. He is out of ICU, but still critical.

old.gif

Last edited:
Just took these pictures and I am introducing the little one to the flock. It's a constant vigil as sometimes the others want to peck on him and I don't want his navel damaged. He is moving a bit now and seems to be stronger, but he hasn't any outside nourishment yet. He is out of ICU, but still critical.

old.gif
I hope your not going to leave him with them? maybe his own lil brooder inside theirs when you can't watch.

Last edited:
I forgot to say how precious your ducklings are. They all look very healthy. So are these babies for food or Eye candy in the yard or pond? if you don't mind me askin
smile.png
I hope your lil one makes it.
fl.gif

A friend in OK just asked me the same question via email and this was my response:

Muscovies are the best meat duck (so I have read numerous times) and their breast is much larger than Pekin ducks and it is much less greasy and taste like beef, again so I have read.

I want this particular type of Muscovy because they are a great fast growing meat bird, they are white which IMO makes for a better carcass, they are friendly, lay a fair amount of eggs, get bigger than "regular" Muscovies, eat just about any insect they can including flies, broody and they are QUIET. Easy to keep as long as they don't fly and I think the white ones are pretty, at least much prettier than most wild ones. I may never eat one, but yet again if I have too many I suppose I will. Right now I just want to look at them. I see it as the perfect duck.

old.gif

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly charlindabob! The French White Muscovy are the perfect duck! (Even though technically they aren't really a duck but rather a south american goose) The only thing you missed are that their eggs are JUMBO and delicious and that they are absolute SWEETHEARTS! :) CONGRATULATIONS!

A friend in OK just asked me the same question via email and this was my response:

Muscovies are the best meat duck (so I have read numerous times) and their breast is much larger than Pekin ducks and it is much less greasy and taste like beef, again so I have read.

I want this particular type of Muscovy because they are a great fast growing meat bird, they are white which IMO makes for a better carcass, they are friendly, lay a fair amount of eggs, get bigger than "regular" Muscovies, eat just about any insect they can including flies, broody and they are QUIET. Easy to keep as long as they don't fly and I think the white ones are pretty, at least much prettier than most wild ones. I may never eat one, but yet again if I have too many I suppose I will. Right now I just want to look at them. I see it as the perfect duck.

old.gif

I have found coloured ones to be just as big, or maybe it's just the genetics i have/breed here my boys are HUGE, always shocking most people actually. They are actually documented for their fly eating abilities.
wink.png

My thoughts exactly charlindabob! The French White Muscovy are the perfect duck! (Even though technically they aren't really a duck but rather a south american goose) The only thing you missed are that their eggs are JUMBO and delicious and that they are absolute SWEETHEARTS! :) CONGRATULATIONS!

lol.. I've been going around and around with people for years telling them that they aren't really "ducks".. I've used the term "perching waterfowl" instead..
gig.gif

lol.. I've been going around and around with people for years telling them that they aren't really "ducks".. I've used the term "perching waterfowl" instead..
gig.gif
Yes, I believe they are more closely related to geese than they are to ducks. They are still my favorite whatever they are, and I'm sure I'll enjoy these. I used to have some light brown and white ones that I thought were pretty nice, but I think I'll like these white ones and do my best to keep the strain alive. I have seen pictures on BYC where it appears that some people have these mixed into their colored flock, but I will not have other colors and will keep them white and pure.

I am really surprised that there aren't huge farms of Muscovies that are raised for the meat trade. And that duck eggs aren't more popular here in the states. In many countries both duck meat and their eggs are normal fare and can be easily found in the markets.

How should I make up a mash for the little one. Take some starter food and mash it up to a paste with water? Feeding won't be easy either as it is a PITA just to get this little one a couple drops of water.

Call me weird, but I think one of the most relaxing things I do is sit in a chair in the chicken coop and watch the chickens or turkeys or in the yard and have my geese come up to me. Hopefully these Muscovies will interact some.

old.gif

Back
Top Bottom