Incubation report and trying again!

Hi all!

Last year, around May, I incubated my duck eggs for the first time. I did not have a very successful hatch and I’m hoping if I share my report from last year that someone could help me with tips for this year?

Here was last years (2020) report:

- 25 eggs went into the incubator.
- 5 were not viable after 7 days (no veins)

- 20 eggs developed. I candled every week and everyone was growing/moving and doing great!

- Temp stayed at 99-102 majority of incubation. The temp did spike occasionally to 104-106 but was brought down ASAP by removing the lid.

- Day 1-7 ran the incubator dry. At 20-30% humidity.

- Day 7-15 ran the incubator at 30-45% humidity by adding water (I just felt at the time the incubator needed water and dry running it was bad..)

- Realized the air cells were too small so went back to dry 20-35% humidity (running it dry again and not adding water)

- All 20 eggs made it to lockdown and everyone was moving around.
- 1st egg externally pipped on day 24 so I put the incubator into lock down on the evening of day 24.

- 7 out of 20 fully developed eggs hatched successfully.
I assisted one duckling in hatching. and I have to admit I did open the incubator frequently during lock down to remove hatched ducklings and to check eggs...eek.

- 3 or 4 of the “bad” eggs internally pipped but didn’t make it out. The rest of the “bad” eggs didn’t even internally pip. All “bad” eggs had fully formed ducklings inside :(

I will be incubating again very soon and am just wondering if based on what I went through last time if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!!!
I hatch ducks all the time I put water in on the first day and fill the cups up when they get low I also turn my eggs by hand I don’t like the self turner’s because I have had more die then hatch that way. I also check my eggs more then I should when they are on lock down, I still get a lot to hatch and if the temp get up to 104 to 107 I turn the temp down to 99 degrees I would not open it up some times they get to cold to fast and that’s not good for them I have been hatching duck for a couple years now and I have had some really good hatches I only have like one to two ducks not make it and that is some times because I have a duck the looks like It was 2 times the size of the egg and had no air bubble it was a mix breed . I hope that helps you

Hi all!

Last year, around May, I incubated my duck eggs for the first time. I did not have a very successful hatch and I’m hoping if I share my report from last year that someone could help me with tips for this year?

Here was last years (2020) report:

- 25 eggs went into the incubator.
- 5 were not viable after 7 days (no veins)

- 20 eggs developed. I candled every week and everyone was growing/moving and doing great!

- Temp stayed at 99-102 majority of incubation. The temp did spike occasionally to 104-106 but was brought down ASAP by removing the lid.

- Day 1-7 ran the incubator dry. At 20-30% humidity.

- Day 7-15 ran the incubator at 30-45% humidity by adding water (I just felt at the time the incubator needed water and dry running it was bad..)

- Realized the air cells were too small so went back to dry 20-35% humidity (running it dry again and not adding water)

- All 20 eggs made it to lockdown and everyone was moving around.
- 1st egg externally pipped on day 24 so I put the incubator into lock down on the evening of day 24.

- 7 out of 20 fully developed eggs hatched successfully.
I assisted one duckling in hatching. and I have to admit I did open the incubator frequently during lock down to remove hatched ducklings and to check eggs...eek.

- 3 or 4 of the “bad” eggs internally pipped but didn’t make it out. The rest of the “bad” eggs didn’t even internally pip. All “bad” eggs had fully formed ducklings inside :(

I will be incubating again very soon and am just wondering if based on what I went through last time if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!!!
Your humidity to low is one thing I can tell. I understand that the air cells look smaller than they should on week 2 or whenever but the last 5 days they really draw the air fell. This is when most of the air fell growth happens. So I keep my humidity at 55 to 65 for 1-25 then 75 and even higher for hatch. Your area where you live may be different cause it may be dryer of more humid but I don't really worry unless the air cells haven't grown on bout day 22 or so. Good luck on next hatch. Have 6 eggs in incubator with ten more in another incubator sitting right next to it. Have 5 that pipped externally last night. And I know you have to have patience at this point but can't wait to meet them.

Your humidity to low is one thing I can tell. I understand that the air cells look smaller than they should on week 2 or whenever but the last 5 days they really draw the air fell. This is when most of the air fell growth happens. So I keep my humidity at 55 to 65 for 1-25 then 75 and even higher for hatch. Your area where you live may be different cause it may be dryer of more humid but I don't really worry unless the air cells haven't grown on bout day 22 or so. Good luck on next hatch. Have 6 eggs in incubator with ten more in another incubator sitting right next to it. Have 5 that pipped externally last night. And I know you have to have patience at this point but can't wait to meet them.
thank you!
I am currently incubating as well. I have 5 eggs in there and have kept the humidity at around 50 the whole time. Lockdown for me is tomorrow and I’ll be bumping up the humidity to 70-65 (?)
I’m excited to see the little ducklings, as I’m sure you are with yours!

Back
Top Bottom