Incubation report and trying again!

AAcres

Songster
Apr 18, 2019
Northern Ontario Canada
Hi all!

Last year, around May, I incubated my duck eggs for the first time. I did not have a very successful hatch and I’m hoping if I share my report from last year that someone could help me with tips for this year?

Here was last years (2020) report:

- 25 eggs went into the incubator.
- 5 were not viable after 7 days (no veins)

- 20 eggs developed. I candled every week and everyone was growing/moving and doing great!

- Temp stayed at 99-102 majority of incubation. The temp did spike occasionally to 104-106 but was brought down ASAP by removing the lid.

- Day 1-7 ran the incubator dry. At 20-30% humidity.

- Day 7-15 ran the incubator at 30-45% humidity by adding water (I just felt at the time the incubator needed water and dry running it was bad..)

- Realized the air cells were too small so went back to dry 20-35% humidity (running it dry again and not adding water)

- All 20 eggs made it to lockdown and everyone was moving around.
- 1st egg externally pipped on day 24 so I put the incubator into lock down on the evening of day 24.

- 7 out of 20 fully developed eggs hatched successfully.
I assisted one duckling in hatching. and I have to admit I did open the incubator frequently during lock down to remove hatched ducklings and to check eggs...eek.

- 3 or 4 of the “bad” eggs internally pipped but didn’t make it out. The rest of the “bad” eggs didn’t even internally pip. All “bad” eggs had fully formed ducklings inside :(

I will be incubating again very soon and am just wondering if based on what I went through last time if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!!!

Hi all!

Last year, around May, I incubated my duck eggs for the first time. I did not have a very successful hatch and I’m hoping if I share my report from last year that someone could help me with tips for this year?

Here was last years (2020) report:

- 25 eggs went into the incubator.
- 5 were not viable after 7 days (no veins)

- 20 eggs developed. I candled every week and everyone was growing/moving and doing great!

- Temp stayed at 99-102 majority of incubation. The temp did spike occasionally to 104-106 but was brought down ASAP by removing the lid.

- Day 1-7 ran the incubator dry. At 20-30% humidity.

- Day 7-15 ran the incubator at 30-45% humidity by adding water (I just felt at the time the incubator needed water and dry running it was bad..)

- Realized the air cells were too small so went back to dry 20-35% humidity (running it dry again and not adding water)

- All 20 eggs made it to lockdown and everyone was moving around.
- 1st egg externally pipped on day 24 so I put the incubator into lock down on the evening of day 24.

- 7 out of 20 fully developed eggs hatched successfully.
I assisted one duckling in hatching. and I have to admit I did open the incubator frequently during lock down to remove hatched ducklings and to check eggs...eek.

- 3 or 4 of the “bad” eggs internally pipped but didn’t make it out. The rest of the “bad” eggs didn’t even internally pip. All “bad” eggs had fully formed ducklings inside :(

I will be incubating again very soon and am just wondering if based on what I went through last time if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!!!
Did you calibrate thermometers prior to incubation? Where were the eggs from? And one more question, what kind of incubator?
I would not recommend dry hatching with ducks.
I run 45-50% humidity with ducks until lockdown.

Did you calibrate thermometers prior to incubation? Where were the eggs from? And one more question, what kind of incubator?
I would not recommend dry hatching with ducks.
I run 45-50% humidity with ducks until lockdown.
Hey! yes, I did calibrate my thermometers. I used two inside and then there was the one on the incubator.
I have one of the little giant incubators with the automatic egg turner.
the eggs were from my own ducks. last year they were anywhere for 1-3 years old.

ahh okay so maybe too low humidity, but when I did raise the humidity I found the air cells were too small for the stage they were at.

what kind of humidity do you use at lockdown? I realize now I didn’t write that down.

Hey! yes, I did calibrate my thermometers. I used two inside and then there was the one on the incubator.
I have one of the little giant incubators with the automatic egg turner.
the eggs were from my own ducks. last year they were anywhere for 1-3 years old.

ahh okay so maybe too low humidity, but when I did raise the humidity I found the air cells were too small for the stage they were at.

what kind of humidity do you use at lockdown? I realize now I didn’t write that down.
Ok, sounds like it's all good there then.
I lockdown at 65% humidity, then as soon as I spot an external pip up it to 70%.

Back
Top Bottom