Incubation tip for shrink wrapped ducklings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jun 6, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I miscalculated the due date - and only checked the calander too late- So I have eggs due that were not put into lockdown when they should have been. After 24 hours in lockdown I hadnt seen a lot of action- and as they are due tomorrow- I would have expected to see a beak in an air cell or a pip at least. I drilled a small hole into an egg so I could check the membrane- and sure enough- it was white and tough looking. I bought some puppy training pads a while ago- but havent used them all in the brooder- so thought I would try using them- wet over the eggs- rather than a face washer like I have in the past- They work brilliantly!!!!

I wet them with warm water and drapped them over the eggs- they stay warmer than the face washer too- allowing the eggs to be at the correct temperature. I found them to be a little cool when using a face washer...Well after just 3 hours of the eggs wearing the puppy training pads- I have pips!!

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    awsome ducky what breed

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hey there Alaska....Runners Again..Of course...I wont be hatching any other breeds for a few months. You got any other hatching tips you have found works for you???

4. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    yay!!! i hope they pull through!!

5. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    no i dont have any tips [​IMG] wish i did

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What a wonderful tip! Thank you for sharing!

7. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I have filed it away! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by