1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator 10 day question-veining?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmaddie's mom, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

At 10 days I'm seeing either nothing (duds) or dark blobs... I see no veins (I thought I needed veins)... what am I seeing?

In case you can't tell, I'm new to incubating.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

should I pitch them all?

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I would give it a few more days. I candled at day 8 and thought I only have 4 good eggs and then again at day 10 and found I have 8 good eggs and 2 that are to dark to see in.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you're new to incubating, don't pitch any egg unless it actually smells rotten! If you're seeing dark blobs in some eggs then those ones are most likely the good ones and you're not seeing veins because the shells are thick or dark, or just because you're not quite sure exactly what you're looking for/at. (I know the first time I incubated, I candled at 7 days and cause I didn't really know what I was looking for, I almost didn't see the veins or the tiny black blob of the embryos!) So keep them all in and candle again just before lockdown. By then it should be obvious which eggs are doing well, cause there'll be a big air sac, and the rest of the egg will just look like a solid dark mass.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by