Incubator and Wood Heat Temperature Swings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FlocknRoll, Dec 26, 2010.

1. FlocknRoll

FlocknRoll New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    Hello to everyone at Backyard Chickens! And thank you so much for all your helpful advice from a longtime lurker and forum fan. [​IMG]

I recently purchased a Hovabator 1588 and am ready to try my first hatch, but reading through the instructions included with the incubator is making me rethink my plans to start the eggs in March. We are in upstate NY and our house is on wood heat, and we experience ambient air temperatures down to 52 F or lower at night, up to 76 F (sometimes as high as 80 F) during the day all winter long. There is no place in our house where temperatures are stable. The instructions state that temperatures below 60 F or temperature changes of more than 10 degrees will affect the incubator performance.

Should I wait until late spring and better weather before I try out my incubator, or is there something I can do to insulate the incubator somehow? [​IMG]

Thank you kindly for your thoughts!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    where is you woodburner, i have one also. basement & groundfloor?

3. FlocknRoll

FlocknRoll New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    In our living room

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Is there a small room you can place a space heater in? I did that so I could hatch in the dead of winter in a drafty old farm house with wood heat. I kept the door to the room shut with one of those draft barrier things slid underneath it. Spent a couple days watching the room temp and the incubator, and it stayed stable enough. Was using my own eggs, so I made sure I was collecting them like 5 times a day before they could freeze. Had a pretty good hatch out of it.

The space heater was one of the thermostat controlled radiator styles so that I could choose a setting and leave it.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I hatch in the back bedroom as far away from the wood stove as possible, and have done well.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We heat with a woodstove which is on the first floor, but I keep my incubators in the basement so the room temps are steady.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Quote:What are your room temps in the basement, mine average between 46 - 52 F, so not sure if this would be ok with using a still air hovabator ?

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Same here for the few times I've hatched in winter.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:What are your room temps in the basement, mine average between 46 - 52 F, so not sure if this would be ok with using a still air hovabator ?

I think they're probably about 50....there's no heat source. I use Genesis 1588's which have a fan so I don't know if that would make any difference or not.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Same here for the few times I've hatched in winter.

Same here as well, only my bator is in the dining room. I've had it in the den as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by