Incubator build

momma chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Hello , I'm building my first incubator and i have a couple questions.
does anyone know (should the thermostat be near the light bulb ? )
Here is what i have so far.

I made a homemade incubator out of a cardboard box (not my first time), my suggestion on the water in the bator is to not have a lot, I have been putting a 1/2 cup in the evenings every other day and then taking it out.(you don't want mushy chicks.) The eggs have alot of fluids inside already. I have noticed my bator will be moist inside just from the eggs. Some people say not water till day 19 but I say it depends on your situation. I have a wood stove in my house so some water is good. Maybe if you lived in Seattle no water would be needed. I will put sponges in on day 19. I am on day 15. I put in 14 eggs and from candling 13 are still good. Also don't be afraid of handling the eggs, (clean hands of course.) I candle and rotate my eggs 2x a day. Chickens leave their nest once or twice a day so eggs actually like a break.

Here is my current set up. It keeps the temperature at 99-100 degrees, and a humidity around 40%. This was also my first incubator! Thanks SallySunshine! Good luck!

Thank You all for your comments. it has been helpful.
I received my thermostat a couple days ago and installed it in the incubator and it a steady 99.5 - 100 degrees and humidity is 43%.
i set 24 eggs today. I'll keep you posted.

all your help was very much appreciated
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom