Incubator doesn't have humidity control!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickyBangBang, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Hi folks,

This is what I have:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...ies/Low-Wattage-Still-Air-Incubator-p193.aspx

How am I supposed to control the humidity with this thing if there is no detector in it? I was told to put rocks in the bottom of it, under the wire, in the water to help hold the heat, and check the water level a few times throughout the day, adding water when necessary. How do I know when it's necessary?? Ugh - I don't see how this thing is "perfect" for a newbie.

I also don't see why this has to be so scientific. All normal eggs need to hatch is a hen butt - I don't know why I can't just put it under a 99 degree water bottle and wait. LOL

Anyone have this incubator? How do I know what the humidity is at? It includes a thermometer and I was told to put that on top of the eggs (laid across two of them).

Thanks in advance!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If you go down to Petco, for about $6 you can by a hygrometer that measures the humidity for you. I suggest analog versus digital since they tend to be more reliable.

3. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Thank you!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by