Incubator Experts needed, HELP

I don't think it's genetics - it's been several different breeds, but it's my understanding that dry hatching tends to give you an earlier hatch.

That's either genetics or your thermometer is off. What breed? :pop

Interestingly... my bantam wheaten Ameraucana always hatch a day early as well. I haven't gotten to test under a broody YET. But without changing incubator settings at all... the Silkies I just hatched (as well all previous Silkies) were right on time, just like all my other hatches (barring power outages). While 21 days id the average norm, some lines DO vary. :confused:

Be interesting to have someone else hatch your eggs or a broody and see what day that hatch?

I also have a still air hovabator 1602N... I actually love it more than my forced air one, and have no problem maintaining temps as long as I don't let my house tempo swing too much. Wafers can go bad and need replacing though.

I don't think it's genetics - it's been several different breeds, but it's my understanding that dry hatching tends to give you an earlier hatch.
Nope, I dry hatch every single batch of chicks since I learned about it couple years ago and only my bantam Wheaties hatch early consistently.

My most recent Silkie incubation (hatched 2 weeks ago from someone else's eggs) didn't get ANY water added at all... humidity between 25-30%... until lockdown and then it was 60%... All hatched on the correct day.

I suppose if you like hatching early and got no issues... then your doing fine. I suspect if you lower your temp just a hint... you *may* have even hardier chicks. A link to one of my favorite hatching resources in case I haven't already shared or you haven't yet seen it...
Incubation guide

FWIW... a calibrated thermometer is the most basic of hatching tools that can have the heaviest impact on hatches. :)

ETA: I don't remember ever reading that dry hatching caused early hatches either. Following link is what got it started...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

With a decade-old still-air, if your temps swing too wildly/widely it might be that your wafer is compromised and/or leaked. Next batch you might want to put in a new one.

Back
Top Bottom