1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator for turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by abhaya, Nov 29, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    what is a good bator for turkey eggs? I think my silkiebator may be a bit too small

2. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    We were given 18 turkey eggs and a standard styrofoam bator on loan - we hatched out 11 eggs. The incubator was designed to hold 24 chicken eggs but worked just fine for thr turkey eggs, however it did not have individual egg spaces so the eggs just set in in the bottom. It had a self regulating humidity device built in as well, we just added a bit of wtaer to the bottom now and then. The only part that I wish we'd done differently is having a self turning incubator - after a month we couldnt WAIT for them to hatch! Good luck!

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have a GQF and a Dickey's that work well but I have hatched them in a LG bator. The eggs do fit in the LG auto egg turner. I use that to store my turkey egg on while I am collecting eggs for the week to hatch so I don't have to turn them.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The trick with incubating any egg is knowing your incubator. If you can hatch chicken eggs you can do turkey eggs. We use a GQF sportsman.

Steve

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:I am looking at what batos have the physical space foe the large eggs

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use a Dickey myself. Works great.

The first couple of hatches I used the regular chicken egg trays to hold the eggs. I've since ordered turkey egg trays for future hatches. Mr. Dickey has them, but they aren't listed for some reason on his site.

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i use a gqf styrofoam and a homemade cabinet type with gqf turners. works fine for me. i use the regualr treys and space them out so they dont touch. will only hold about half.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by