Incubator - good or bad??

Quote:
http://cmfarm.us/pictures/keroseneincubator.jpg

OOooooOOo that's nice nice!

"Now your hatching with kerosene!"
wink.png

OP == GL w/ your incubator, sorry to hyjack the thread a little bit. I have a cabinet style and would recommend a dickies if your budget magically jumps closer to the $600 range.
smile.png

I would defiantly go with the brinsea mini advance it is soo good at keeping a steady temperature and the auto turn is really handy
The hatch rates are really good aswell
96604_photo_1.jpg

Last edited:
You may look into the Genesis 1588. It's about double your price range, but the hatch rates are SO much better. It's so much more easy and stress free to use too, so the hair can stay on your head.
lol.png

Quote:
What's going on with the little giant?

I haven't been hatching long, I have a Hovabator and an LG. With my limited experience I would recommend the Hovebator well over the LG. While outwardly they look the same and are priced about the same there are four big differences to me.

-The Hovobator's thermostat knob has a much more range of motion between degrees allowing for much finer temperature management. On the LG you are literally just able to move the knob a fraction hair. If you feel like you moved the nob you've moved it too much! Contrarily you can move the Hovabator knob, see the movement, and only be affecting the temperature by fractions of degrees.

-The styrofoam design of the Hovabator nests into itself creating a better seal and is impossible to bump off. The LG lid does not nest, easy to get gaps or be bumped out of position by elbows, children or pets. The Hovoabator also seems a lot more solid and more insulating that then LG.

-The styrofoam design of the Hovabator has a deeper bottom, so when opened you have no fear that a rambunctious peep may bound out. The LG only has an inch high rim when open.

-Lastly the reservoirs. The Hovabator comes with an easy to clean plastic bottom tray and has bottom vent hole alignment that allows for much more water surface area for bumping of humidity. In the LG you are limited to just a few small areas for water or else the water leaks out the bottom vet holes, the bonus, you have egg goo and poo on the styrofoam post hatch, not fun to clean.

I wouldn't say I'd ditch my LG if I already had one as once you get used to its quirks it will do the job, but if I were to be purchasing again wanting that hatch size in that pricepoint the Hoverbator would be what I would buy.

Do not buy the chickbator one. They are cheap but work just as well as putting your eggs in a cardboard box. I tried it over 5 times and every time i got a 0% hatch rate. It was not the eggs fault either because i bought certified fertile hatching eggs from a hatchery by my house.
somad.gif

Take a look at surehatch web page they have a sale going on. If I were you I would by a hovabator with a fan. I bought mine and turned the evasion manually than asked Santa for an egg turner. Guess what it worked and he gave me one. Sure hatch has the 1588 on sale for 129. Me myself I don't want an electric pre set thermostat so I will be buying the one right below that one. My hovabator never failed and the temp has been right on. Good luck with your purchase. I won't buy the briesa mini due to most don't only hatch 7 eggs and it just doesn't look like they have room to move after hatching.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom