Incubator Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenObsessed!!!, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ChickenObsessed!!!

ChickenObsessed!!! New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    I have been searching high and low for a good and affordable incubator. On the cheap side, theres an 18 dollar Kid's incuabator that looks totally flimsy. On the other side, there's a Hova-Bator with a Universal Egg-Turner, reining in at about 90 dollars. I'm in for anything within the 30-60ish dollar price range.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am using a Little Giant 9200. I think it is about $40-50.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the LG's are good that is what i have. the have two lg's on e-bay for $68.00 plus shipping

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    keep an eye on your local craigslist and freecycler and you will eventually find one for reasonable or almost free. I have gotten four hovabators during the past ten months, ranging from full retail ($136 including tax for a bator and turner, not counting $8 for the Accurite hygrometer from Walmart) to $20 for a hovabator only, no plastic tray or wire mesh in the bottom, to $75 for two hovabators with a turner in great shape... I know where there is a Sportsman incubator with a plexiglass door but the guy wants $400 for it... [​IMG]

5. ChickenObsessed!!!

ChickenObsessed!!! New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm so excited to get started!!!

[​IMG]

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Do yourself a favor and get a turner and forced air if possible. A Little
    Giant with a turners is around $75. You can always add a fan later.

I believe the Hovas are a little more money.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I agree! It seems you can find the little giants locally and save shipping. My hova bator was like 120.00 shipped. Ideally I would buy something that was not made of styrafoam, but they get so pricey.

8. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    At Rural King you can get an LG 9200 all set up for $98.00. It has the turner, fan and bator. I think it's a good deal since i just spent $32.00 on just the fan for one.

Natalie

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If you go back and read this particular forum, you will see many people wanting to know how to add a fan to the HovaBator and LG incubators. Most people decide to upgrade after a few hatches. If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased the unit with a fan and turner from the get go. If you are home during the day a turner is not necessary but very desirable. The fan helps keep the temperature within the box at a more constant level without the hot and cool spots you get with the still air. It does make a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by