incubator hot/cool spots

Have you modified your thermostat? I would do that if I were you. It really works, and I know that I didn't have much money to go back to the store, and get another thermostat. I didn't want to ruin my good thermostat, but I figured I could take the chance.

I did it, and I am very happy that I did this.

The porcelain that they make water heater thermostats out of is pretty tough. I thought that I might crack the thing in half by drilling into it, but it was fine.

my dh is going to do that next....we had to put off the incubator work for a few hours as we had plans to go sledding with a couple other families, we just got back, so he is going to be looking at that link you provided and we will be modifying the thermostat. it is a hot water heater thermo, like yours. will update tomorrow after we let it run the night and see if its stable. Finger crossed :)

Ema

ok so to update on my incubator process, when we built it we overlooked one very important thing. we placed the thermostat right against the cooler, so the little holes on the back of the thermostat were right against the wall and the warm air would not reach it. so we backed it up off the wall, placed the bigger fan a bit on an angle in the corner and then, yes there was something else....

I didn't realize my dh had drilled a couple of holes in the cooler (how I overlooked this I will never know) for the egg turner. We then used packing tape on the inside and outside of the windows and once we placed the turner in and had done these minor adjustments, the temps held a steady temp. So now both my thermometers I have in there are at readings I can deal with, one is at 98.6 and the other at 99.5

we added 15 eggs today and have been in since 5 am. we added 2tbsp of water to create some humidity but not much, but I am going to have to add a new vent hole as the humidity is at 55% with just a tiny bit of water, but I am not sure...

Should I drill the hole a the bottom or top of the cooler to let some humidity escape?? I wanted to keep it around 30% until day 18 and then jump it up, Any advise you can give me on this would be appreciated it.

thanks so much to those who have already helped me with the construction and stabilization of my home made incubator, you guys are fantastic helpers :)

Ema

Back
Top Bottom