Incubator Ideas? *I'm Back*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Jan 4, 2012.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Hey guys! I am gonna start hatching again in the spring time, jw if anyone had some incubator ideas? Thanks!

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I love my Brinsea, it keeps temperatures steady and i've had great hatches from it.

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    You talking about homemade incubators?, because I love to help people with their homemade incubators. I have two on my page that I made last winter, and I made a fridge incubator in Summer 2011.

4. yea...what above said, lol
    It is loads of fun. As matter of fact I am looking for an old dorm fridge as we speak (since I looked at that page) My little cooler bator only holds 7 eggs. And my larger one 12 eggs

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I'm starting on a new one. I got a mini freezer I guess it is what it is. Ordered a heating element from Incubator Warehouse and have several fans here to choose from. I got a electronic thermostat and a wafer thermostat for a backup. I am trying to figure out how much airflow I need so I can make a choice on which fan to use.

[​IMG]

6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Is the heating element the type with the coil, and the porcelain holders. Is it the Flex-Watt. I like the thermostats you have for the incubator. Depending on how nice you would like the incubator too look. I would use 2 small metal desk fans pointing down from the top. Or you could buy one like the ones they put in Sportman incubators.

7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I have 3 fans like that is in the Sportsman but better quality. They are Dayton fans. In this incubator I will install the coil with the 6 ceramic holders. It will have a false back so it gets complete circulation. I have built several in the last few weeks but sold them when I showed them off. I am going to keep this one. I am seriously thinking about making this a part time hobby. I actually made a few bucks.

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I would use the 2 dayton fans in the top corners of the incubator.

9. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I think 1 will do it. they move 150-200 cubic feet of air per minute. I'm think that it is almost to much

10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, if you are making them and selling them, you don't want to use things that aren't necessary, and 2 probably aren't necessary, but I forgot that you sold these incubators. I also didn't think for a minute about the size of this freezer you are using. I bet putting it in the top right corner would be good though, blowing air down. As for the turners, I have never used the GQF turners, I am accustom to the hand turning mechanism I have in my cooler incubator, and the Little Giant egg turners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by