Incubator Input Appreciated

Forgive me if I am reading your chart wrong, but it looks like your temp might have been a bit low? 98.9 was the max on the chart.

Was this some kind of report from a wireless thermometer/hygrometer or is this an app you use to record the info manually?
Yes, it’s a wireless transmitter. Yes, temps do seem low in some spots, which is why I left the set temp at 100F for my first hatch. The separate probe shows different temperatures at different locations. I’m attaching a picture of a chart that I kept during the poor hatch incubation period, where I moved the probe once a day to record different positions in the turner. It didn’t seem particularly hot to me, but certainly hot and cold spots. Nonetheless, my hatch rates have been much better with the lower temperature that I’m using now.

Attachments

• 88F48F59-97F7-439D-B9C7-B5D76018A9E4.jpeg
    88F48F59-97F7-439D-B9C7-B5D76018A9E4.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes, it’s a wireless transmitter. Yes, temps do seem low in some spots, which is why I left the set temp at 100F for my first hatch. The separate probe shows different temperatures at different locations. I’m attaching a picture of a chart that I kept during the poor hatch incubation period, where I moved the probe once a day to record different positions in the turner. It didn’t seem particularly hot to me, but certainly hot and cold spots. Nonetheless, my hatch rates have been much better with the lower temperature that I’m using now.
This is wonderful information! It seems like one should avoid setting eggs in the back area with this model then, or move them every day. I wonder if anyone else has done testing like this.

I find it interesting you're having more consistent temps throughout and better hatches with a lower temp setting on the heating element.

Where did you get your wireless transmitter?

This is wonderful information! It seems like one should avoid setting eggs in the back area with this model then, or move them every day. I wonder if anyone else has done testing like this.

I find it interesting you're having more consistent temps throughout and better hatches with a lower temp setting on the heating element.

Where did you get your wireless transmitter?
It’s a SensorPush:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/?tag=backy-20
I also have the gateway so I can get the temperature and humidity when I’m away. It’s expensive but I use it for multiple things throughout the year.

I did rotate eggs with the poor hatch, then with my next clutch that did well. Then I had an emergency situation where I needed to completely fill the incubator with abandoned eggs and some eggs about to hatch (a really badly staggered hatch over two weeks!). So, I just laid the eggs down on their sides everywhere and did not rotate or turn. Surprisingly, that emergency hatch went very well, all things considered, and eggs at the back hatched as well as eggs anywhere else. I now have a small group of 16 eggs in there, using the auto turner, and they are more towards the front/center but I’m only rotating position once a week. Those eggs are doing well like this with one week left. When my hatching season is done, I want to try placing the probe (in a protective bag) in water as I’m wondering if the incubator fan is getting the overall temperature more consistent than the air temperature that I’m measuring...

That little device is nifty!! I need 2! One for the coop and one for the bator!

How long have you been using this model?
Several years. You can change the battery bit I haven’t needed to yet... My coop is about 250-300ft ft from our house and past a big tree; sadly it doesn’t transmit from the coop. My doghouse is in the backyard, about 100 ft? from the gateway station, and it works great there.

Several years. You can change the battery bit I haven’t needed to yet... My coop is about 250-300ft ft from our house and past a big tree; sadly it doesn’t transmit from the coop. My doghouse is in the backyard, about 100 ft? from the gateway station, and it works great there.

My coop is only about 30 ft at the most from my house, right near my bedroom so I can hear if anything happens at night. I'm interested to check temp/humidity in my new coop. Thanks so much for the info!!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom