Incubator is awesome,besides all the criticism.

criticism? here? on byc?

I don't believe it.
big_smile.png

Congrats! Enjoy your quail peeps!

gmendoza..I didnt see the original thread...question: on the glass top, do you have a hole cut out or does the reflector just sit on the glass?

austin.ray22 :

gmendoza..I didnt see the original thread...question: on the glass top, do you have a hole cut out or does the reflector just sit on the glass?

The reflector just sits on the glass.​

gmendoza
As you know ... this is my 1st time incubating & I set my eyes on your set up/ways. I have (23) BR's & (1) Dixie Rainbow crossed with a Buff Rock (who knows!) eggs. As of last night, day 7, I have 10 very much growing fertilized eggs - the rest my amateur eye is not understanding what it is looking at.

My temp stays steady & I've had no issues except once when I put the light straight down on the plexiglas where it spiked to 102. I lifted the lamp & plexiglas for quick results. Humidity is staying steady about 65% on it's own. When the water level drops, it will stay at 60%. There's only one small hole in the pexi where I cut for the fan wire to go through. A little bit of tape fixed that problem. The newspaper around the incubator was when I first put it up because the humidity wasn't going high enough but after closing the A/C vent pouring air directly onto it stopped that problem & the paper has been long gone.

It's sitting on a torn apart computer desk where the tower once sat. Flipped it upside down & added an old crib to the back to hold the light up off the Plexiglas.

Why plexiglass? I had no glass sitting around & my eggs were on the way. It's working out great but I'm about to make a 2nd one & will look for a piece some where. If I can't find any, this has been a great alternative.

Here's my thread that I'm barely working on because I've had no issues.
yippiechickie.gif
It is getting close in time for me to start asking about a few eggs I'm not sure is growing but other then that ... THANK YOU !!!!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=377111

Here's the photo ...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/48421_cas_0872.jpg

Did I say thank you yet?
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Your incubator looks good.I mistakenly said"plexiglass'.It is real glass from an old wooden storm window.I find that if your temp spikes,then move it over the fan area.the temp will go back down in a few minutes,sometimes to the correct temp.my humidity is always about 75%.

65% is still good.I have hatched at 65%.

I also like your idea of not having the eggs on the pointy side down.Lots of people will try to be your worst naysayers on that way.I wont.I see that my chickens dont put the eggs under them pointy side down.they lay em flat and turn them with their beak every so often if they are uncomfy.I get good hatches under broodies!!Got one that has 9 eggs under her as we speak.

Remember,the inside the shell temp shouldnt be more than 104 degrees.how does anyone know that? I rarely think they punctured a hole inside an egg while it was growing and stuck a thermometer in it.

It looks good. Happy hatching!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom