Incubator issues! Inconsistent temp readings.

MakeHaste

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Hello All,

I'm relatively new to hatching, especially so with the auto rocker models such as the Brinsea Ova Easy. I was loaned a model 380, with the assurance of the units capability and past successes. The unit itself has been cleaned, sterilised, biofumigated and loaded with 108 new souls.

It has also been reinsulated and I've draped a felt rug over it for additional insulation as it is quite cold down in Australia. It lives in our Kitchen 2ish feet from a slow combustion stove. I am on day 5.

My question is this, are eggs warmer internally than they are at surface level? I've configured the unit to run at 37.5. I use an IR thermometer, but have been getting really inconsistent readings from 33 to 34.5, lower temps at the bottom. Also different based on where I lazer the egg.

Is this an issue that anyone else has had with Brinsea, or electric incubators in general?

Last edited:
UPDATE. So my less than expensive IR thermometer was the culprit, a small spider had laid its babies over the lens. I've swapped back to a glass thermometer and new hygrometer and am reading 37.5 celcius at 40% RH.

Turns out multiple metered points a wise choise.

UPDATE. So my less than expensive IR thermometer was the culprit, a small spider had laid its babies over the lens. I've swapped back to a glass thermometer and new hygrometer and am reading 37.5 celcius at 40% RH.

Turns out multiple metered points a wise choise.
It’s always best to not rely on a single instrument.....mine worked well for several hatches and I became to complacent with my most recent hatch and had catastrophic results with my melanistic hatch!!!! Glad you figured out the issue and all was on track!!!!

Back
Top Bottom