Incubator mishap and unexpectedly happy outcome!

sphanges

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Hi all,

I went into my spare room yesterday morning to find the plug had been knocked out of the socket and my incubator with all its 14 day eggs had been off for an unknown period of time, possibly up to 18 hrs. I was gutted as it was lockdown day and I thought they would all be dead, so close to hatch! The temp when I turned it back on was 18 degrees C/ 64 degrees F and who knows how low it had gotten in the night.

I kept it on and did the lockdown as normal but thinking it was a futile hope. I looked up float testing and thought I had nothing to lose by checking - and blow me down but of the 10 or so that I tested, only one didn't wiggle! I can't believe they made it through that!

I think I've learned that there's always a chance and never give up.I'm looking forward to them hatching tomorrow or the next day. From a terrible start, it really made my day and these chicks are going to be extra special :)

Cheers
B

jumpy.gif
I had an old time chicken breeder tell me to always give the eggs a chance because you never know what is going on inside the egg.

I've been told it is best to cool your eggs down a few days before hatching.It is supposed to make the chicks move around to generate heat and this makes them stronger.For a few hours though,sounds like yours were cooled for the biggest part of the day.Well if the theory is right your chicks should be very strong.and should rip threw their shells with no problems at all.
In N.H.,Tony.

Hi all,

I went into my spare room yesterday morning to find the plug had been knocked out of the socket and my incubator with all its 14 day eggs had been off for an unknown period of time, possibly up to 18 hrs. I was gutted as it was lockdown day and I thought they would all be dead, so close to hatch! The temp when I turned it back on was 18 degrees C/ 64 degrees F and who knows how low it had gotten in the night.

I kept it on and did the lockdown as normal but thinking it was a futile hope. I looked up float testing and thought I had nothing to lose by checking - and blow me down but of the 10 or so that I tested, only one didn't wiggle! I can't believe they made it through that!

I think I've learned that there's always a chance and never give up.I'm looking forward to them hatching tomorrow or the next day. From a terrible start, it really made my day and these chicks are going to be extra special :)

Cheers
B
Depending on how far along the embryo's have developed, some eggs can take up to 24 hours of going cool and still hatch. The incubation obviously went really well, and the chicks inside these eggs were strong enough to take it. Keep us posted on the hatch. :)

They're rocking and occasionally cheeping. No pips. The wait is killing me! They're definitely taking their time more than the other batches have, but I'm so pleased that any of them made it that I'm not complaining :)

Thank you, that's a really interesting article. I think my eggs got chilled toward the end of, or after, the deformity stage, but closer to the mortality stage although I must have caught them in time because of all those I've float tested or checked against my ear, only one appears to be dead so far and the rest have strong signs they are alive.

Had two little white chicks hatch starting 2 hrs ago. Both quick out of their shells and strong. I can hear and see the others tapping and rocking though no more pips yet. I have to go out to dinner tonight and I don't want to! I want to stay home and watch my babies hatch :)

B

We have 22 live babies from 27 eggs. 2 hatched and died - I am wondering if their father (rosetta) has golden hidden in there and they were double goldens. I never breed double gold together if I can help it but they might have slipped through. Anyway, for whatever reason they hatched perfectly and then weren't strong enough to survive. The 22 other babies are going really well, in the brooder and zipping around madly :)

Of the 3 remaining eggs, 2 are obviously dead and one is alive and peeping, but when float testing (before he was peeping) I found his air cell is off centre. I think it might be causing him difficulties. Any advice? He's in the incubator still. Do I prop the egg up in any special way, or leave him and hope it will all work out?

Cheers
B

You can try resting the egg so the air cell is upright. That might help keep him in oxygen and less chance of drowning til he is ready to hatch. Give him a few days yet. You never know, he may hatch tomorrow. I don't advise helping him out. Zipping out of the eggs themselves help them get their lungs and metabolism up. If they don't have the energy to zip, then many times, they don't have the energy to make it to adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom