Incubator & movement in egg. - RIP Chip/Chipette

Your ducky is doing great. I do believe he internally/externally pipped at the same time, which happens if you did not lose enough moisture during incubation and the air cell was on the small side, which is why it is taking so long.

As for a brooder, any container will do, so long as there is good ventilation and enough room to move away from heat. I like to use old towels for bedding as it gives them good traction, but they cannot accidentally eat it and choke, as many young babies do with shavings. If you have a nice momma duck, giving her the baby is the best. FYI, if you only have the one hatch, it can be a nightmare as they literally will panic if left alone.

Your ducky is doing great. I do believe he internally/externally pipped at the same time, which happens if you did not lose enough moisture during incubation and the air cell was on the small side, which is why it is taking so long.

As for a brooder, any container will do, so long as there is good ventilation and enough room to move away from heat. I like to use old towels for bedding as it gives them good traction, but they cannot accidentally eat it and choke, as many young babies do with shavings. If you have a nice momma duck, giving her the baby is the best. FYI, if you only have the one hatch, it can be a nightmare as they literally will panic if left alone.
that's where if you do only have one hatch a stuffed animal may help till more start hatching. Thanks for looking in Iain I was hoping what we see was good, it looked good to me.

Last edited:
Hoping for good news tomorrow!
fl.gif
As am I :D

One more tip: Once he starts zipping, which shouldn't be too much longer, the duck should turn in the direction of the staining, which is counterclockwise if look at egg fat end toward you. The brownish filmy lining under the shell piece is the inner membrane and yes, the veins run through that membrane. Between external pip and hatching, the blood in the veins recede towards pointy end of egg into yolk sac attached to baby's abdomen and into his body. When that process is completed, he will begin zipping.

Do they really take this long to get through? Just hoping for lots of progress over the night.
Brooder: I used my old incubator and turned it into a brooder, it has a temperature of 94 degrees. Is that too hot or too cold or..?
I also thought old towels would be appropriate so that is what I used, and his/her mom is not the greatest of moms because she is even aggressive with her mate. I will probably go out and find a little baby duckling stuffed animal for it. It will only need it for about a week then NEXT Saturday I will be having another hatching of two eggs (with a date
ya.gif
). So hopefully he won't be too lonely with the stuffed animal. Even though I will be always around.

One more tip: Once he starts zipping, which shouldn't be too much longer, the duck should turn in the direction of the staining, which is counterclockwise if look at egg fat end toward you. The brownish filmy lining under the shell piece is the inner membrane and yes, the veins run through that membrane. Between external pip and hatching, the blood in the veins recede towards pointy end of egg into yolk sac attached to baby's abdomen and into his body. When that process is completed, he will begin zipping.
Ohhh, so he's basically waiting for the process (blood receding towards pointy end) to finish. So with the brownish filmy lining, can you tell if the blood has receded from there or you'll only know when he's finally out?

Brownish usually means the blood has receded at fat end, but it takes a while to work all the way into the duckling. Plus, he is also absorbing the yolk sac into abdomen. It generally takes a very long time to hatch.

Interesting, okay. I'm glad that it means it's started/has been receding.
Nothing new is happening now so I will update tomorrow morning with HOPEFULLY (
fl.gif
) some good news of a hatching or beginning to zip !
Thanks.

I wake up this morning and the humidity has DROPPED to 64%. I completely freaked out until I realized what has been happening :

With the humidity like that, do you think it'll be able to hatch without getting shrinkwrapped??
Thanks.

EDIT: The humidity has raised to 74%, I'm not sure how but it did.

Last edited:
I wake up this morning and the humidity has DROPPED to 64%. I completely freaked out until I realized what has been happening :

With the humidity like that, do you think it'll be able to hatch without getting shrinkwrapped??
Thanks.

EDIT: The humidity has raised to 74%, I'm not sure how but it did.
Looks like your little one will be looking at you soon. good to hear about humidity going up. Will check back in this afternoon and hopefully get to see a face..
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom