Incubator newbie with a question

mvinotime

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Hi! I'm brand new to hatching my own chicks rather than using Mama bird ;) I set my eggs 21 days ago. On day 7 I Candled and discarded the non fertile eggs. Candled again on day 14 and my remaining 11 eggs all looked good. I did not candle on day 18 but went into lockdown and had my first pip on day 19. I had six brown eggs and five blue/ green eggs that all came from mine and my parents birds. I just have a little Giant still air incubator with an auto turner but no fan. I kept humidity between 50-55 approx during day 1-18 then up to 60-70 as of day 18. Temp stayed pretty consistent around 100-101. Heres what I find interesting..... Between day 19-20 all six brown eggs pipped and hatched and I have six healthy babies however NONE of my blue eggs have pipped at all or have chirping etc. i candled two tonight ( day 21) and don't see movement and they basically look like they did on day 14... Shell is only about half full. Any idea why those particular color eggs might not have hatched? I was going to leave a couple more days to be sure but really saw no signs of life at all. Thanks so much!

I would wait 2 more days then if no movement noted during candling carefully peel back a piece at the top of the egg to peak inside. I have had chicks stop moving on day 21 only to bust out on day 23. I have also had them make it to the end then die in the shell just before hatch time. I can only wonder why. I have personally hatched out hundreds of chicks and really have no straight answer as to why this happens so do not think you may have done something wrong. When this happens I generally start looking at the parent stock and factors there. Specifically the ages of the parent stock.

Ok tha you for your reply. Looking at parent stock might makes sense to since it was one particular group of the same eggs that have the issue when the others all came out great. I will take your advice and wait a couple more days and keep you posted :) might not want to use those eggs again for sure.

Back
Top Bottom