1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator on Craigslist....is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SassyKat6181, Apr 2, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Little Giant Incubator w/ forced air fan kit, automatic egg turner and liner.
    In box, like new, used one season.
    $110.00 or BO

I really want to have Guinea fowl on my property, but am having a hard time finding anyone local, and don't want to order 30 from the hatchery. Would buying this incubator and buying eggs be a better option for me?

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I can buy an LG with fan for about $60 here. The turner is another $40, I think. I am not sure how much a liner is.
    I don't think it's a great CL buy, but then again, I look for bargains.
    You might want to check the sticky at the top of this category for pictures and info on homemade bators. Much cheaper in some cases.

3. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I bought my LG on sale at TSC for $34.99 and egg turner for $34.99 as well. I am not sure how much the fan costs but Im sure not much. Doesnt seem like a good deal to me. I think maybe I would offer then $60. You have no way of knowing if the egg turner works since it will take 4 hours to turn.

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    If the liner is made of gold maybe...

5. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    No, i hate to say it, but its not a great deal. Its pretty much retail. Also I wouldn't recommend a LG. YOu want a GQF HOvabator if you are going with styrafoam. Its the best inexpensive one I've found.

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks everyone! It's great getting instant answers. I might have found another solution.....a man emailed me about splitting a hatchery order.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

The fan kit is about $30.

My sister found me a like new LG incubator still in it's box for $20. at a yard sale last summer. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that it already had the fan kit installed! I use it as a hatcher along with my Hovabator Genesis 1588.

8. DKM

DKM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Alabama
    What is a good incubator to get? I know there are some really expensive ones and really cheap ones. I don't mind paying mid-range or better but don't know what is best. I have never used one before and I'm thinking about giving hatching a try, but I want a pretty good incubator. Just small amount of eggs, maybe up to 20 or something like that.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

NO!!! An LG is never a good deal, not even free.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Hovabator or Brinsea. The Brinseas can GET expensive but the one that holds 24 eggs is $99. Hovabator will hold more eggs and cost about the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by