Incubator on Craigslist....is this a good deal?

Quote:
Well I don't have much choice now since I have a hatch inside. This thread has turned out to be really discouraging. If this incubator is so horrible, Why do people buy them? How does the company stay in business. And yes I have been having temp issues. I am dealing with them as best I can. I figured I was just going nuts because thats my nature. I wish I would have known this was a total piece of junk before I bought $42 in eggs to hatch which will clearly likely not hacth now right?
barnie.gif
I watch my incubator all day and adjust temps when I need to. I wonder if that will help. So does no one have good hatches in the LG still air?

Quote:
Well I don't have much choice now since I have a hatch inside. This thread has turned out to be really discouraging. If this incubator is so horrible, Why do people buy them? How does the company stay in business. And yes I have been having temp issues. I am dealing with them as best I can. I figured I was just going nuts because thats my nature. I wish I would have known this was a total piece of junk before I bought $42 in eggs to hatch which will clearly likely not hacth now right?
barnie.gif
I watch my incubator all day and adjust temps when I need to. I wonder if that will help. So does no one have good hatches in the LG still air?

I am really sorry to have brought you down. I prefer the truth over sugar coating things. The reason people buy them is because they want to hatch chicks and it is affordable. There is a thread right below this one about someone with an LG having problems. Try and do some searches too about LG problems and see what others have done to have a successful hatch. You made a mistake not coming here first for opinions, however, it is not your first mistake or your last.

If it helps any I had failed hatches over and over and over again and thought it was me. So I set my own eggs and had 100% hatch. It was the shipped eggs. They are a crap shoot to start with.

Again, I am sorry for popping your bubble.
sad.png

Quote:
barnie.gif

There is a whole Little Giant hatch along thread, so obviously a lot of people use it. Some people seem to have a lot of success with it. According to one thread I read from a LONG LONG time ago, the key is not to be opening it very often (messes up the temp). Some guy had a better hatch in his LG than two others with expensive incubators mainly because he did not candle much and was not too quick to toss out eggs. After reading that, I pretty much decided that as much as I would love to be pulling my eggs out looking at them constantly, I should just leave them alone!

Quote:
barnie.gif

I am really sorry to have brought you down. I prefer the truth over sugar coating things. The reason people buy them is because they want to hatch chicks and it is affordable. There is a thread right below this one about someone with an LG having problems. Try and do some searches too about LG problems and see what others have done to have a successful hatch. You made a mistake not coming here first for opinions, however, it is not your first mistake or your last.

If it helps any I had failed hatches over and over and over again and thought it was me. So I set my own eggs and had 100% hatch. It was the shipped eggs. They are a crap shoot to start with.

sad.png

You will have to forgive me for not know this website/forum existed.....I refuse to believe with all the home made incubators and the simplicity of the actual process that the LG will not do its job. I will likely invest in a automatic one which is far better controlled but for now I will do everything I can to insure a good hatch if I have to watch my incubator all day long for the next 18 days. Its located in my bedroom, so that's convenient. Thank you for not "Sugar coating" anything for me...But maybe, Just maybe do you think you are being a bit bias?

I had much better luck in my LG than in my Hovabator. I think it's due to temp inconsistencies in the external environment more than the incubator but I wanted to give you some hope!

Quote:

sad.png

You will have to forgive me for not know this website/forum existed.....I refuse to believe with all the home made incubators and the simplicity of the actual process that the LG will not do its job. I will likely invest in a automatic one which is far better controlled but for now I will do everything I can to insure a good hatch if I have to watch my incubator all day long for the next 18 days. Its located in my bedroom, so that's convenient. Thank you for not "Sugar coating" anything for me...But maybe, Just maybe do you think you are being a bit bias?

Whoa. Where did that come from? I was trying to be helpful. It is your choice to accept it or not. I don't have an LG and that for a very good reason. I apologized for bringing you down. The rest is on you.

I used one for a few years. First year I had two eggs, and one hatched. The second year I had 6 eggs and one hatched. Next year I had some shipped eggs, and none of them hatched. Then I had about twelve and two hatched. It was difficult for me to regulate the temperature and humidity. The temperature would spike. I think the important thing is to get a good thermometer and hygrometer, so you know what the temp. and humidity really are. The cheap ones that come with the Little Giant are not reliable, and I could never find any that were. I had several different thermometers and they all had different temperatures. It about drove me nuts. I spent a lot of time running back and forth from my house to the school.... and if it wasn't steady I would stay there until I figured it was which was sometimes several hours.

I bought an R-Com Suro and hatched 7 out of 8. Last year I hatched 7. I put a lot more eggs in, but some weren't fertilized. I also have a Brinsea Octagon that I used for I hatch and it was a good hatch, but I had to return it because this year it wouldn't keep the temperature. A lot of people swear by them, so I think this was just something weird and they will hopefully be sending it back to me all fixed.

Some people do great with the Little Giant, so you might want to talk to some of those people.

Good Luck with your hatch. I hope everything goes well for you.

I have had both the LG and a Hovabator Genesis 1588. I had terrible hatches with my LG. It is not really the bator itself, they are all just alike as far as the foam box goes. I think the problem lies with it being so small and if you have few eggs, you have a lot of air space which heats and cools quickly. That wafer is very tempermental at best, and I myself do not have nor would want to babysit the thing every single day and you must to have a decent hatch. My Genesis are plug and play. I only worry about humidity at day 18 at the start of lock down. SO, as far as the OP goes, no, I would say the LG is NOT a good price. If you buy expensive eggs, you will be out lots of money for a poor hatch and a 50% hatch of shipped eggs is considered a good hatch rate. I'd forgo the Cl deal and order a Genesis 1588 or better bator. In the end, a whole order of hatchery chicks is cheaper though, and you can sell on Craig's List the ones you don't want to keep. Just my thoughts. Hen Z

Quote:

sad.png

quiet a number of folks LEARN how to use an LG they often have very good hatches someone who does not hatch very much needs all the help they can get brinsea provides this help. I hatch quail to eat to do so requires me to have a hatch happen ever other week or so if you hatch this often you get very good at hatching in about 6 months or so, you know what your bator is going to do and when it is only a tool and a good mechanic never blames his tools this may be not sugar coated enough for those biased against styro bators it is easy when you are good at hatching practice will make you good. the wafer t-stat is every bit as good as the electronic ones on my home built bators
smile.png
you will get it figgered out read all you can and hatch as much as you can you WILL pass the naysayers in experience fairly quickly . ROFLMAO again sorry if this is not sugar coated enough for you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom