Incubator or Broody??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stormylady, Mar 19, 2012.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I just recieved my Hatching eggs today in the mail today from crfarm, I want to wait to set them in the morning so they would have time to rest, I wanted to put them under one or two of my Broody hens, but got to thinking since they have been broody for a couple weeks already will they stay on the nest for 3 more weeks?? or should I go for the incubator?? The Broodys are 2 Silkies and a Silkie/ Fav mix and they are very determined on the nests but 5 weeks seems like such a long time for them to sit. Any Opinions I could use some help making up my mind here. [​IMG] Thanks

2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Have the broodies been eating and drinking this whole time? If they are not down in weight nor dehydrated, I vote Silkie! They love being mamas, it seems. Just make sure they get off once or twice a day to eat, drink, poop! How many eggs did you get that you may need three hens to do the job? A bunch, I guess!

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    No,I have 10 eggs total LOL, And yes the silkies are very determined to be Mommas, This will be Diamonds 4 brood of chicks and her largest was 9 but the eggs were smaller so I figured it might take two of em, This is her daughters', 1st time being broody and she is just about a year and her other daughter the mix is 8/9 months old and is a Protectively/ Aggressive Broody much like her Momma but its her first time too. They All three are definiately getting off the nest a couple times aday but jus for a few minutes at a time. They seem fine, and there is pleanty of the unmistakable Broody poop in the yard and they may have lost a little bit of weight but not much. but by no means skinny at all.

If they were to get up off my own eggs It wouldn't bother me to much, I guess I could give them the eggs and if they decided that they didn't want to sit the whole time I could stick them in the incubator??? I would prefer that the girls do the incubating because they are really good at it,and my job would be so much easier, and like you said nothing makes a Silkie happier than Motherhood, LOL I would just hate to lose eggs I paid good money for (Split Coronation Sussex). Ok yep you talked me into going natures way I think! I just have never had any of the girls sit for that long. Its kinda worrysome, or worse refuse to quit and get worn out and not leave the nest....... I'll just have to keep a really close eye on them, and make sure they are eating and all. Thanks Sandy!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I vote broodies. The likelihood that you'd have problems with silkies and faverolles is slim. (other than making sure their weight is good) Chickens can't count, so no worries about that.

I love having broodies, but I do hatch in my incubator when I don't have any broodies.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Go with the broodies and keep the incubator as a back up if necessary.

6. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I don't mean to hyjack this thread but I have a question about broodies since reading this. I have a broody that has been sitting on her eggs since the 10th. she is alone in her own coop right now and I haven't seen any eveidence that she has gotten off the eggs for even a minute. Everytime I check on her (muliple times a day) she is still sitting and I cleaned the coop before I put her iin there...there is no poop! I am really new to this. Should I pick her up off the nest? I figured she would get up when she needed something but now I'm not too sure???

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Could she be pooping outside? They will sneak their breaks for food/water/pooping. It's a nest preservation instinct. Trust me, you would smell the poop long before you ever saw it. Nasty!!!

I would lift her up and have a peek to make sure she's not pooping in the nest.

8. audrey02026

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I checked the eggs today when I got home. No poop on them either and she can go out in the run I didn't check that. When I moved her she just sat there so i nudged her a little and she did have a drink anyway. Should I move her every day or you think she will get up if needed?

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

10. audrey02026

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Ok good I'll leave her be...she is doing such a good job so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by