Incubator Question

rtrodr90

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
I bought a Little Giant still air 9200 incubator. I read that your not supposed to open for the first 24 hours after you placed your eggs in it. Is that correct? So no turning for the first 24 hours?

Also mine is staying at 98.2, is that ok? Should I raise?

I'm no expert but think it means that you should have it running for 24 hours before putting any eggs in so it can come up to temperature etc. If they are shipped eggs then no turning for a further 24 hours after putting them in.
I think @aart should be able to help you.

Where did you read that? Was it in the Little Giant paperwork that came with the incubator or somewhere else? Did they give a reason? If it was from Little Giant I'd call them and ask them. I'd be interested in the why of their response. If it is from another source, what source. Are they trustworthy? Personally I'd turn the eggs.

In a still air incubator it is very important where in the incubator you take the temperature. Warm air rises. If you have a an to mix the air up it does not matter where inside you take the temperature but in a still air you can get a big difference. The recommendation in a still air is 101.5 taken at the top of the eggs. That is what I'd shoot for.

Where did you read that? Was it in the Little Giant paperwork that came with the incubator or somewhere else? Did they give a reason? If it was from Little Giant I'd call them and ask them. I'd be interested in the why of their response. If it is from another source, what source. Are they trustworthy? Personally I'd turn the eggs.
Ditto Dat^^^

Wondering if it's the usual recommendation to let the incubator run empty for 24 hours for things to stabilize?

Also mine is staying at 98.2, is that ok? Should I raise?
It's good to have other thermometers and hygrometer to check the built in ones. Test/calibrate your other thermometers and hygrometer to ensure accuracy. It'll save you 21 days of worry and possibly a more successful hatch.
I use this technique to test/calibrate:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

In a still air incubator it is very important where in the incubator you take the temperature. Warm air rises. If you have a an to mix the air up it does not matter where inside you take the temperature but in a still air you can get a big difference. The recommendation in a still air is 101.5 taken at the top of the eggs. That is what I'd shoot for.

I read it online when looking up instructions on the incubator.
I’m still turning them. So it needs to be 101.5? I let it run for 24 hours before I put the eggs in. It was fine until I opened it to put the eggs in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 2
I have the therma meter right next to the eggs. I was thinking that would give it a correct reading (being that close)?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 1
Speaking from some recent trials and tribulations with this incubator!
Here's what I learned from my first 2 batches of incubating eggs this year with this model:
1. Temperature and humidity are SUPER important. You will need to calibrate your thermometers and hygrometers. Definitely use more than 1 of each to make sure and NEVER rely on the incubator temp and humidity as both of my bators were off.
2. I only filled TWO water channels for the first 18 days. Filling more than that made the humidity too high and drowned my first batch of eggs.:he Again, humidity is important.
3. If it is "still air" it is recommended to set the bator at 102-103. Sounds crazy, but just check what the temp is with your other thermometers that are in the bator.
4. Monitor humidity! With my 2nd (successful batch), I ran out of water in my bator and one of my pipping chicks got shrink wrapped. I had to assist. It was so stressful for both me and chick. A pipping chick NEEDS humidity.
5. You do NOT need both red plugs in. You need to circulate air, so make sure you have at least 1 out. Take them both out at day 18.

I used the still air 9300 for first batch (0% hatched). Made lots of mistakes (see above) but went ahead and bought the circulated air bator for 2nd try. Second batch... (100% hatched). I don't think it was the bator, but my experience. I hope you can learn from my mistakes! Good luck, and keep us posted!:thumbsup

It was fine until I opened it to put the eggs in.
It can take up to another 24 hours for it to re-stabilize, eggs need to get up to temp.

I have the therma meter right next to the eggs. I was thinking that would give it a correct reading (being that close)?
If the therma meter is accurate. Read my article link.

Speaking from some recent trials and tribulations with this incubator!
Here's what I learned from my first 2 batches of incubating eggs this year with this model:
1. Temperature and humidity are SUPER important. You will need to calibrate your thermometers and hygrometers. Definitely use more than 1 of each to make sure and NEVER rely on the incubator temp and humidity as both of my bators were off.
2. I only filled TWO water channels for the first 18 days. Filling more than that made the humidity too high and drowned my first batch of eggs.:he Again, humidity is important.
3. If it is "still air" it is recommended to set the bator at 102-103. Sounds crazy, but just check what the temp is with your other thermometers that are in the bator.
4. Monitor humidity! With my 2nd (successful batch), I ran out of water in my bator and one of my pipping chicks got shrink wrapped. I had to assist. It was so stressful for both me and chick. A pipping chick NEEDS humidity.
5. You do NOT need both red plugs in. You need to circulate air, so make sure you have at least 1 out. Take them both out at day 18.

I used the still air 9300 for first batch (0% hatched). Made lots of mistakes (see above) but went ahead and bought the circulated air bator for 2nd try. Second batch... (100% hatched). I don't think it was the bator, but my experience. I hope you can learn from my mistakes! Good luck, and keep us posted!:thumbsup

Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of questions...
You say set temp to 102-103?
Does it matter which red plug you take out?
How do I re-set the temperature?

Back
Top Bottom