Incubator questions

bookpyjamas

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 9, 2014
Hello everyone :)

I am new to this...
It is a personal project I am trying. I've never raised any chicken or quail in my life so this is my first time...
I have no incubator. My mum had some spare quail eggs and she gave me 12. she didn't want them. It is a really small project that's why I'm thinking of using........a desk lamp.
My country is hot and humid so 40W is okay... On the dot 37°C, I think that's 100°F.

It is placed in a box. Inside, there is also one of our ochoko cups, filled with water.

I just want to know if 1) is this possible and 2) will my lamp catch fire?! It is very hot! Being hot like that, it is going to be on for like 17 days or so. I really want to know about the safety. Leaving the house with a very hot lamp, there is the risk of fire.
What do you think?

Also, has anyone done that?

It's a really mini project. I am curious...
It might not even hatch, but I want to try ;_;

Help me quail masters!

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:
Not impossible, but very unlikely that you can maintain proper temperature and humidity given the circumstances. there is always the possibility of the lamp causing a fire. There are several threads on 'home made incubators' - try an on site search. Good luck.

Most lamps aren't made to safely run bulbs over 40w or 60w it should say right on the bottom of the lamp.

Without a thermostat you're going to have a really hard time keeping anything consistent enough to hatch chicks.

(I do still have some more questions, sorry.)
Ah. I see... The set up is haphazardly done. Thank you for pointing that out :)
Yes, looking through the homemade plans. If I get to make a good incubator and if mum has more spare eggs soon, I may try again.

I just seen the DIY plans and most use light bulbs, too.
They put the lights in storage coolers, somewhere else I saw them using Styrofoam box, and a thermostat was added, which I missed out.

The styrofoam way seems okay, do you recommend this? it appears safe. :) I am also thinking that a 25W bulb might be more suitable. It gives me 36°C/99°F(?). To the touch, it is not scalding hot, but normal 'fever' hot. I tested for about 12 hours from yesterday and temperature remains steady. I do not think I will continue using the lamp, but by connecting the lightbulb to a socket. Do you think that's better and safe? If we do this, can we leave the house without worry?

I will search for materials, and after reading your advice, a thermostat. I am also going to try my best despite all of this sounding ridiculous... hope!

(I think now is a question of how to make an incubator...)

Apologies for the silly questions -bow- Thank you for your patience!

Feel free to offer advice any time :p

Last edited:
(I do still have some more questions, sorry.)
Ah. I see... The set up is haphazardly done. Thank you for pointing that out :)
Yes, looking through the homemade plans. If I get to make a good incubator and if mum has more spare eggs soon, I may try again.

I just seen the DIY plans and most use light bulbs, too.
They put the lights in storage coolers, somewhere else I saw them using Styrofoam box, and a thermostat was added, which I missed out.

The styrofoam way seems okay, do you recommend this? it appears safe. :) I am also thinking that a 25W bulb might be more suitable. It gives me 36°C/99°F(?). To the touch, it is not scalding hot, but normal 'fever' hot.  I tested for about 12 hours from yesterday and temperature remains steady. I do not think I will continue using the lamp, but by connecting the lightbulb to a socket. Do you think that's better and safe? If we do this, can we leave the house without worry?

I will search for materials, and after reading your advice, a thermostat. I am also going to try my best despite all of this sounding ridiculous... hope!

(I think now is a question of how to make an incubator...)

Apologies for the silly questions -bow- Thank you for your patience!

Feel free to offer advice any time :p

First off, no it will not work without a thermostat of some sort! When you place the light bulb in a closed area without a tempature regulator, the radiant heat from the light bulb will be trapped! Second the best method would be to use a 60 w light bul with your thermostat. As it will heat quicker and won't cool down to low when the thermostat kicks the power off! Plenty of good videos on YouTube showing different ways to make a home made styrofoam incubator! I have currently built 3 myself and this year have hatched close to 600 quail. If you put thought and effort into the way you design and build your incubator, it is a lot more efficient than a store bought little giant or hovobator!

Its safe with a few things to consider.

Use a thermostat

Use good clean dry supplies

Use good sense in keeping the bulb away from flammables

Keep the bulb far enough away from the foam so it doesn't start to melt

Make sure wiring is correct and not going to short

I see... Thermostat is really important here. I am still trying to find one. I tried yesterday but there was none... :(
But will keep trying :)
I think I have a good rough idea about this, thank you for your help everyone :) !

I see... Thermostat is really important here. I am still trying to find one. I tried yesterday but there was none... :(
But will keep trying :)
I think I have a good rough idea about this, thank you for your help everyone :) !

A hot water heater thermostat will do the trick!

A hot water heater thermostat will do the trick!

That's what I used. You can get them at any home improvement store for cheap. Wiring is easy with an old extension cord. See YouTube videos on the subject, that's how an made mine, and it worked brilliantly.

Hello bookpyjamas - welcome to the forum.

1. You said that you were from a tropical country. What is the normal air temperature there? If the typical weather is hot I think a 25W bulb will be enough plenty enough, especially if you have a well insulated box like a foam or ice chest. It doesn't take much heat to keep an incubator warm in a hot climate.

2. May I ask how old you are? More specifically, are you experienced with safe wiring of high voltage electricity? If not please be extra careful. May want to ask an adult for help. You are right to be concerned about fire hazard. Be careful with electricity shock too, and especially with safe, insulated wiring. It will be humid, sometimes wet, inside the box so make sure you know what you're doing.

Don't mean to scare you or discourage you from raising quails and chickens. It's a lot of fun, especially when you can incubate your own eggs. But please be safe and get some help if you need it. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom