Incubator recomendations. All you hatchers help me out!

mississippifarmboy

collects slightly damaged strays
12 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Glen, Mississippi. 40+ chicken years
What is the best all around incubator today? I didn't realize they had came out with so darn many different ones in the past few years! I've been looking online getting ready for the spring hatching season and I have some fairly expensive eggs coming so I want to get a good one.
The past couple of years we have used a couple of the styrofoam incubators (The newer one was a little giant with a fan and turner, the old one was unknown maker with no fan or turner which we used as a hatcher). They worked fine, had good hatches from them, but don't hold alot of eggs. I've also had trouble keeping the humidity at the correct levels with these.
Years ago we hatched hundreds of eggs a year and always used a sportsman incubator. (We had four at that time, three for incubating and one hatcher) I forget how many eggs they held but it was alot and the humidity was a breeze with them. I found out they have a newer digital sportsman out now, but haven't seen any reveiws on them.
The new hard plastic ones (Brinsea, etc..) I have no experiance with.

So what do you recomend?

Last edited:
Brinsea. I have .... Several different models: MiniAdvance, MiniAdvance EE, both of which only hold 7 chicken eggs, and a couple Octagon20 Advance EX units... Well, three, to be exact. Each holds 20 eggs - Brinsea says 24, but I can't fit 24 into it. Why not call it an Octagon24 if it's supposed to hold 24? ....just something I've wondered.....

41679_incubatortable.jpg

I incubate in a Sportsman (96 each row x 3), and hatch in tabletops. I like the HovaBator Genesis (styrofoam) as it is roomier, preset, and I can see through the top. I have 2 of the Brinsea Eco (Economy only $99.), which holds 20 (Actually I use an 18-egg egg carton). I also have 2 HovaBators that are not the Genesis (but they do have the fan).

I say, a little of this and a little of that works for me.
idunno.gif

Good luck!

Here are the rest of them.
41679_batorsinbookcase.jpg

I think they are wonderful. The Advance models are nearly foolproof and the EX models are, as someone has said, stupid proof.

I had first thought I would only need to hatch a few at a time; had I known then what I know now, I would have gotten one of Brinsea's much larger cabinet models.

Back
Top Bottom