incubator temp question

craigmurray

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 18, 2014
I am hatching Japanese quail, button and coturnix. Yesterday was day 13 so last night I transferred the eggs from the recirculated egg turning incubator to a still air incubator. When I went to ed the temp was 100, when I got up it was 103. I quickly opened incubator to let out heat and adjusted. I had the still air set up and running for a couple days and adjusted to 101 but moved it to another room last night, my bad judgement.

Anyways, my question is will I loose all these quail?

Craig

No 103 is not a critical temp and you have no idea if the embryo actually reached 103 or if only the thermometer did. Never quit on a hatch unless you are positive it won't go.

If the temp was not up at 103 for too long, it probably didn't do much damage. The egg is a large mass and doesn't change temp all that fast. It is the long term high temps that do the most damage.

You are probably ok on this. As DC has said, don't scrap it until you know for sure it has all gone bad.

Good luck!

Thank you for the input. I am not sure ow long that temp was but it had to be for several hours. I picked up a couple of the Coturnix and can feel movement inside,like it is buzzing/vibraing and moving. The button are so much smaller so a bit concerned about them. Only a couple days to day 16.

I think you will be ok. A few hours is not all that long at that temp. And again, the eggs themselves were not that temp the entire time.

Just keep your fingers crossed and keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom