Incubator temp too high

farmgirl4eva

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
New Hampshire
I am on day two of incubating about 30 eggs and them temp spiked to 110 overnight. I think the temp was between 104-107 for over 4 hours. Should i throw these eggs out and start over? I am hoping because they are only on day two they might still be viable. What are others experiences?

We have had successful hatches even after the incubator spiked or dropped dramatically. It's usually only a problem during the last week if it does that-I get a lot of crooked toes on those hatches. Keep us posted-you're probably still in the clear!

yes, that is like the incubator i have. I have the automatic egg turner too. Second batch i incubated didn't fair much better even though the temp was more regulated. Several with bad legs.. don't know if this has anything to do with temp or just natures way..

yes, that is like the incubator i have. I have the automatic egg turner too. Second batch i incubated didn't fair much better even though the temp was more regulated. Several with bad legs.. don't know if this has anything to do with temp or just natures way..
It's temperature related, I'm almost certain. I had the same experience with a styrofoam incubator. Have never had that happen since I bought a more expensive one.
It's not nature's way. I have never had a splayed leg under a broody silkie

Last edited:
Oh wow, I feel terrible. I had no idea this could happen. What kind of incubator do you use(when not the broody hen)?
It's not your fault. Styrofoam incubators are notoriously finicky, it seems even more so with the new LG 9300 (which I would bet money you are using). People can be successful with them, but they require much more attention than the more expensive incubators. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20. It's expensive, but well worth the money if you have a full time job and not a lot of time to keep a close eye on the incubator every day. There are people on here that get good results from LGs. AmyLynn is one, silkiefeet is another. Talk to those guys and they can give you some tips for more successful hatches in styrofoam

Back
Top Bottom