Incubator temp too high

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirl4eva, Feb 17, 2015.

1. farmgirl4eva

farmgirl4eva Just Hatched

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I am on day two of incubating about 30 eggs and them temp spiked to 110 overnight. I think the temp was between 104-107 for over 4 hours. Should i throw these eggs out and start over? I am hoping because they are only on day two they might still be viable. What are others experiences?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Don't throw them out yet. Some may still make it. I've had this happen before too and still hatched a few.

3. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    We have had successful hatches even after the incubator spiked or dropped dramatically. It's usually only a problem during the last week if it does that-I get a lot of crooked toes on those hatches. Keep us posted-you're probably still in the clear!

4. farmgirl4eva

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    well, i kept them and we hatched 7 out of 24 eggs. The eggs around the edges of the incubator hatched, but the ones in the middle didn't.

5. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Sounds like you may have hot and cold spots in the incubator. Move the thermometer around to see, if so adding a fan should help.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you have a styrofoam bator that has the heating element that goes around the top of the bator? Like this:

[​IMG]

7. farmgirl4eva

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    yes, that is like the incubator i have. I have the automatic egg turner too. Second batch i incubated didn't fair much better even though the temp was more regulated. Several with bad legs.. don't know if this has anything to do with temp or just natures way..

8. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    It's temperature related, I'm almost certain. I had the same experience with a styrofoam incubator. Have never had that happen since I bought a more expensive one.
    It's not nature's way. I have never had a splayed leg under a broody silkie

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  9. farmgirl4eva

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Oh wow, I feel terrible. I had no idea this could happen. What kind of incubator do you use(when not the broody hen)?

10. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    It's not your fault. Styrofoam incubators are notoriously finicky, it seems even more so with the new LG 9300 (which I would bet money you are using). People can be successful with them, but they require much more attention than the more expensive incubators. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20. It's expensive, but well worth the money if you have a full time job and not a lot of time to keep a close eye on the incubator every day. There are people on here that get good results from LGs. AmyLynn is one, silkiefeet is another. Talk to those guys and they can give you some tips for more successful hatches in styrofoam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by