Incubator temperature inconsistent

Chrifister

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone,

So a little background, we incubated and hatched chicks out twice last year. We used 2 different forced air incubators we purchased from Amazon. They are both sold by a number of different Chinese vendors and don't seem to have a "brand name". The first was a 16 egg small one I think and the second was a 36 egg larger one with a water tray. The first hatch we used the small incubator and followed the included manual. This resulted in a 50% hatch rate. Feedback from you guys suggested the manual was useless and the humidity was likely way too high. The second batch we used the larger incubator along with some hygrometer/thermometer units we purchased. Those units never showed the same readings but we just took the average of them. We hatched 60% of the eggs that time.

So fast forward to this year and we just pulled out the larger incubator for some Bourbon Red turkey eggs we purchased. Wiped everything down and plugged it in, everything seems to work except the humidity is flashing "EE" which some googling suggests the humidity sensor is toast. That's fine because it was never trustworthy anyway and we use those other units. Ran it for a while with 5 of those sensors in it and there seemed to be a hot spot in the top left corner and a cold spot in the bottom right corner, a difference of almost 2 degrees F. I moved the sensors around and same readings roughly. Right in the center seemed to be dead on temperature wise.

Around supper time yesterday we added the 21 turkey eggs. Some were a little dirty and I wiped what I could off with my fingers and an old toothbrush but I didn't want to rub too hard. I kept the 5 sensors in at the same places they were, one in each corner and one in the middle. Set the incubator to 37.5C and waited for temperatures to settle. So by early evening I was checking every hour and the temps finally settled at 99.5F in the top left, 97.1F top right, 99.8 center, 98.2 bottom left, and 96.8 bottom right. Was a little worrying because only 1 sensor is at the minimum 99.5F. So I turned the temperature up to 37.7C to adjust. Checked this morning and the new readings were 99.6F top left, 97.7 top right, 100.2 center, 99.1F bottom left, and 97.7 bottom right. So 2 sensors are now hitting the minimum. About half an hour ago I increased the incubator to 38C and now the temps are 100.2F top left, 98.2 top right, 100.7 center, 99.8 bottom left, and 98.4 bottom right. So currently there are 3 sensors hitting between 99.5F and 100.5F.

My question to you guys is if what I'm doing temperature wise is a good idea? I'm concerned because I have the incubator set half a degree C higher than it should be. Do I trust the incubator thermometer or the 5 units I put in there? Keep in mind I bought a batch of 10 of those units from Amazon so I wouldn't stake my life on them anyway, however, I assume some of them must be okay and therefore the average of 5 of them is likely more accurate? Of course that's just an assumption. Is it possible the turkey eggs are so big that they are preventing air flow and thereby reducing the temperatures of the sensors because they are lower? Am I overthinking this?

I'm not concerned humidity-wise because I seem to be holding good at 50% starting dry with only a few drops of water having to be added late last night. I am following a guide I found on here and will monitor the air sacs for humidity.

Attachments

• incubator.jpg
    incubator.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 54
Hey everyone,

So a little background, we incubated and hatched chicks out twice last year. We used 2 different forced air incubators we purchased from Amazon. They are both sold by a number of different Chinese vendors and don't seem to have a "brand name". The first was a 16 egg small one I think and the second was a 36 egg larger one with a water tray. The first hatch we used the small incubator and followed the included manual. This resulted in a 50% hatch rate. Feedback from you guys suggested the manual was useless and the humidity was likely way too high. The second batch we used the larger incubator along with some hygrometer/thermometer units we purchased. Those units never showed the same readings but we just took the average of them. We hatched 60% of the eggs that time.

So fast forward to this year and we just pulled out the larger incubator for some Bourbon Red turkey eggs we purchased. Wiped everything down and plugged it in, everything seems to work except the humidity is flashing "EE" which some googling suggests the humidity sensor is toast. That's fine because it was never trustworthy anyway and we use those other units. Ran it for a while with 5 of those sensors in it and there seemed to be a hot spot in the top left corner and a cold spot in the bottom right corner, a difference of almost 2 degrees F. I moved the sensors around and same readings roughly. Right in the center seemed to be dead on temperature wise.

Around supper time yesterday we added the 21 turkey eggs. Some were a little dirty and I wiped what I could off with my fingers and an old toothbrush but I didn't want to rub too hard. I kept the 5 sensors in at the same places they were, one in each corner and one in the middle. Set the incubator to 37.5C and waited for temperatures to settle. So by early evening I was checking every hour and the temps finally settled at 99.5F in the top left, 97.1F top right, 99.8 center, 98.2 bottom left, and 96.8 bottom right. Was a little worrying because only 1 sensor is at the minimum 99.5F. So I turned the temperature up to 37.7C to adjust. Checked this morning and the new readings were 99.6F top left, 97.7 top right, 100.2 center, 99.1F bottom left, and 97.7 bottom right. So 2 sensors are now hitting the minimum. About half an hour ago I increased the incubator to 38C and now the temps are 100.2F top left, 98.2 top right, 100.7 center, 99.8 bottom left, and 98.4 bottom right. So currently there are 3 sensors hitting between 99.5F and 100.5F.

My question to you guys is if what I'm doing temperature wise is a good idea? I'm concerned because I have the incubator set half a degree C higher than it should be. Do I trust the incubator thermometer or the 5 units I put in there? Keep in mind I bought a batch of 10 of those units from Amazon so I wouldn't stake my life on them anyway, however, I assume some of them must be okay and therefore the average of 5 of them is likely more accurate? Of course that's just an assumption. Is it possible the turkey eggs are so big that they are preventing air flow and thereby reducing the temperatures of the sensors because they are lower? Am I overthinking this?

I'm not concerned humidity-wise because I seem to be holding good at 50% starting dry with only a few drops of water having to be added late last night. I am following a guide I found on here and will monitor the air sacs for humidity.
No. Those thermometers aren’t good for anything. Not humidity or temperature. I bought some once and the humidity RANGED from being off. If it said 60%, it was at 40. If it said 50%, it was at 20. Cant remember exactly the reading. And the temperature was OFF. By at least 2 or 3 degrees. Sometimes more. I recommend you get a better one. Cheap isn’t always better.

I might call the local Agri-Coop here and see if they have a thermometer I can buy. They carry brooding stuff so I assume they would have one.

What should I do with the temperature until then? Now I'm concerned I have no idea what the real temperature is.....

Hey everyone,

Make sure the thermometers that you are using are checked against a reliable thermometer. Do rotate your eggs around from time to time so that no egg spends the whole time in a hot or cool spot.

Personally I would not incubate turkey eggs at 50% humidity. I try to incubate my turkey eggs at 30% humidity and increase it to 65% to 70% for lockdown.

I might call the local Agri-Coop here and see if they have a thermometer I can buy. They carry brooding stuff so I assume they would have one.

What should I do with the temperature until then? Now I'm concerned I have no idea what the real temperature is.....
Depending on the type, you can check your thermometers against a known source. Google How to calibrate a thermometer.

Make sure the thermometers that you are using are checked against a reliable thermometer. Do rotate your eggs around from time to time so that no egg spends the whole time in a hot or cool spot.

Personally I would not incubate turkey eggs at 50% humidity. I try to incubate my turkey eggs at 30% humidity and increase it to 65% to 70% for lockdown.
The only other thermometers we have are a digital infrared one but I question the accuracy of that, think it's an Etekcity Lasergrip 800, and a wireless hygrometer/thermometer I use for the chicken coop with the base station hanging on the wall in the kitchen. I think it's likely too big to fit in the incubator and I also wouldn't trust it. I really don't trust much of what I get from Amazon, mostly because it's so cheap.

What I need is a mercury filled thermometer but the soonest I can get one is tomorrow. I think I'll lower the incubator to 37.7C so it's not too high. Hopefully it's not too far off to the bother the eggs until tomorrow. I'm leaning towards trusting the incubator more than those sensors because we did use it to hatch chicks last year.

Our ambient humidity in the house is hovering around the low 30's so maybe I won't try to raise it any higher in the incubator. It's now down to the low to mid-40s in there.

Oh another issue I wanted to ask about was about a crack in one of the eggs. Looks like an impact pushed in some of the shell. It's about the size of a dime. No liquids have leaked so I think the internal membrane is not damaged. I have read that you can incubate cracked eggs. Normally I wouldn't but we purchased these eggs from kind of far away and can't easily replace one. Anything I need to know about that egg? Should I pull it out? Is it a risk to the others?

How often should I be rotating the eggs throughout the incubator? When should I start? I thought the first so many days were very important? The guide I'm following has a drawing of the air sac at 10 days so I was going to leave them until then. Should I rotate them before that?

Oh another issue I wanted to ask about was about a crack in one of the eggs. Looks like an impact pushed in some of the shell. It's about the size of a dime. No liquids have leaked so I think the internal membrane is not damaged. I have read that you can incubate cracked eggs. Normally I wouldn't but we purchased these eggs from kind of far away and can't easily replace one. Anything I need to know about that egg? Should I pull it out? Is it a risk to the others?
I would remove the cracked egg now. The likelihood of it going rotten is not worth having it in the incubator.
How often should I be rotating the eggs throughout the incubator? When should I start? I thought the first so many days were very important? The guide I'm following has a drawing of the air sac at 10 days so I was going to leave them until then. Should I rotate them before that?
I recommend rotating the eggs once a day.

The only other thermometers we have are a digital infrared one but I question the accuracy of that, think it's an Etekcity Lasergrip 800, and a wireless hygrometer/thermometer I use for the chicken coop with the base station hanging on the wall in the kitchen. I think it's likely too big to fit in the incubator and I also wouldn't trust it. I really don't trust much of what I get from Amazon, mostly because it's so cheap.
Infrared thermometers are not reliable.

If you have something that you can check the other thermometers against, you can note the difference between them and the trusted source.

Most thermometers made for measuring human temperature are pretty close to being accurate. They are also reading in the range that you are looking for in incubator temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom