Incubator Temperature Variations

bcmacres

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Hello,
I have a Little Giant incubator with fan kit. I have the supplied thermometer laid atop the chicken eggs with temp at 99.5. I also have a digital thermometer/hygrometer sensor in the bottom of an egg turner cup, and that temp reads 94.5. Is there supposed to be such a great difference in temp from top of egg to bottom? I've checked the supplied thermometer and it is accurate.

I'm a bit worried because I just threw out a batch of eggs (first ones in this unit) which were duds. Only one of twelve had a developed chick at any stage. What can you all tell me about temperature variations in the Little Giant?
Thank you very much

Hello,
I have a Little Giant incubator with fan kit. I have the supplied thermometer laid atop the chicken eggs with temp at 99.5. I also have a digital thermometer/hygrometer sensor in the bottom of an egg turner cup, and that temp reads 94.5. Is there supposed to be such a great difference in temp from top of egg to bottom? I've checked the supplied thermometer and it is accurate.

I'm a bit worried because I just threw out a batch of eggs (first ones in this unit) which were duds. Only one of twelve had a developed chick at any stage. What can you all tell me about temperature variations in the Little Giant?
Thank you very much
Have you also checked the digital thermometer accuracy? we finally went with the glass thermometers and finally had great success, but not with the digital ones we had.

RobertH

Ok. Put the digital sensor with the glass thermometer and it reads 4 degrees low. Glass thermometer came with LG and is accurate as I checked it with two other glass thermometers. So it appears there should not be so great a temp variation in incubator with a fan. I think I'll take your advice and stick w glass thermometers. Bad thing about buying a digital is that you can't compare readings with other thermometers before buying.

Ok. Put the digital sensor with the glass thermometer and it reads 4 degrees low. Glass thermometer came with LG and is accurate as I checked it with two other glass thermometers. So it appears there should not be so great a temp variation in incubator with a fan. I think I'll take your advice and stick w glass thermometers. Bad thing about buying a digital is that you can't compare readings with other thermometers before buying.
I feel your pain, I killed a lot of eggs to learn that lesson! you would think digital accurate to a tenth of a degree should be closer. I have found glass works best for us. I even tried a people thermometer. pit a shot glass of water in there and left it 2 days, still was not correct! I was SO FRUSTRATED. bought the cheap incubator glass thermometer, eggs hatch great.

I NEVER would have imagined that. I would not have believed it either if someone told me.

RobertH

Back
Top Bottom