Incubator Troubles

ClinchViewFarms

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2016
Blaine, Tennessee
I need some input in the worst way but there are so many forums that I can't begin to sift through to find my answer...... I have a 9200 still air incubator and I began preparation for my first hatching of eggs about a week ago. I sat them in the incubator three days ago and have done everything possible to hatch my eggs ( keeping my temperatures and humidity correct). To my dismay, I realized that my thermometer/ hygrometer that I bought was placed closer to the egg turner than the top of the eggs. After I corrected my mistake I figured out the eggs have been sitting between 101 and 104 for 3 days. Are my eggs fried to a point of no return? Im afraid to candle. I'm a little discouraged and disappointed beings that I was so excited to hatch some chicks. If this doesn't work out in looking into getting another incubator that is "idiot proof." Any ideas?

I need some input in the worst way but there are so many forums that I can't begin to sift through to find my answer...... I have a 9200 still air incubator and I began preparation for my first hatching of eggs about a week ago. I sat them in the incubator three days ago and have done everything possible to hatch my eggs ( keeping my temperatures and humidity correct). To my dismay, I realized that my thermometer/ hygrometer that I bought was placed closer to the egg turner than the top of the eggs. After I corrected my mistake I figured out the eggs have been sitting between 101 and 104 for 3 days. Are my eggs fried to a point of no return? Im afraid to candle. I'm a little discouraged and disappointed beings that I was so excited to hatch some chicks. If this doesn't work out in looking into getting another incubator that is "idiot proof." Any ideas?

Well, candling is really the only way to see if they are still alive or not, but day 3 is a bit early to see much. What kind/breed of eggs? 101-104 is not an immediate death sentence. Go with what you have for a few more days, candle a few times. By day 7 you should definitely see some veining, unless they are really dark shelled eggs. If they got too hot, you will either see nothing, or some blood rings.

Idiot proof? Brinsea! I have 2 Octagon 20's. One Eco with turner, and one Advance EX with turner and humidity pump. I highly recommend either. Even the Brinsea mini is said to be awesome.

I've got a mix of breeds: Rhode Island Red, Sliver laced Wyandotte, Easter eggers. I've read a lot about the brinsea but I was afraid to pay that price without fully knowing.

Well, candling is really the only way to see if they are still alive or not, but day 3 is a bit early to see much.  What kind/breed of eggs?  101-104 is not an immediate death sentence.  Go with what you have for a few more days, candle a few times.  By day 7 you should definitely see some veining, unless they are really dark shelled eggs.  If they got too hot, you will either see nothing, or some blood rings.   

Idiot proof?  Brinsea!  I have 2 Octagon 20's.  One Eco with turner, and one Advance EX with turner and humidity pump.  I highly recommend either.  Even the Brinsea mini is said to be awesome.   

I've got a mix of breeds: Rhode Island Red, Sliver laced Wyandotte, Easter eggers. I've read a lot about the brinsea but I was afraid to pay that price without fully knowing.

So you have some colored eggs. They may be harder to see by day 5, but by days 7-10 you should definitely be able to tell if any are still growing.

As far as Brinsea, the only negative I believe I have ever heard is keeping humidity up for the last 3 days in ones that don't have a humidity pump, in areas where the climate is dry. Usually adding a cloth (felt, cotton, etc) draped thru the water wells usually gets it up high enough for most folks.

Also, I do have to set one of mine on 100.8 to maintain 99.5-100 at the top of the eggs. It can be calibrated and changed to read correctly, I've just gotten used to setting it high to adjust. But it holds perfectly steady.

Candle a few and let us know how it goes. Be sure your batteries are fresh and you have a bright light. Hold the egg with the fat end upward and shine down into the air cell.

I will. Thanks for the info! I was contemplating giving up on hatching some chicks but I may just give it another try. Now I've just got to do some hoping and praying that these eggs make it through my bone head mistake....

So you have some colored eggs. They may be harder to see by day 5, but by days 7-10 you should definitely be able to tell if any are still growing.

As far as Brinsea, the only negative I believe I have ever heard is keeping humidity up for the last 3 days in ones that don't have a humidity pump, in areas where the climate is dry. Usually adding a cloth (felt, cotton, etc) draped thru the water wells usually gets it up high enough for most folks.

Also, I do have to set one of mine on 100.8 to maintain 99.5-100 at the top of the eggs. It can be calibrated and changed to read correctly, I've just gotten used to setting it high to adjust. But it holds perfectly steady.

Candle a few and let us know how it goes. Be sure your batteries are fresh and you have a bright light. Hold the egg with the fat end upward and shine down into the air cell.

I will. Thanks for the info! I was contemplating giving up on hatching some chicks but I may just give it another try. Now I've just got to do some hoping and praying that these eggs make it through my bone head mistake....

Trust me, you aren't the only one that has made mistakes. But the reward of keeping trying is soooo worth it. Its a learning experience, and what works for some folks, doesn't work for others, so figure out what works for you and then you will see the rewards!

I hope you'll candle today and see what's in there
wink.png

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I just tried to hatch about 25 easteregger green eggs and had 2 hatch. I found 4 that had chicks that tried but couldn't get out of the shell. The rest were just much yellow. I put 10 under a broody hen and 6 under another one. None of those hatched. All just yellow much. I got these eggs as fertile but it's not so. Sorry rooster. I started out with 4 dozen eggs and end up with 2 chicks.

I wonder if a fan in the incubator would make things better? I'm looking for another incubator also.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I just tried to hatch about 25 easteregger green eggs and had 2 hatch. I found 4 that had chicks that tried but couldn't get out of the shell. The rest were just much yellow. I put 10 under a broody hen and 6 under another one. None of those hatched. All just yellow much. I got these eggs as fertile but it's not so. Sorry rooster. I started out with 4 dozen eggs and end up with 2 chicks.

I wonder if a fan in the incubator would make things better? I'm looking for another incubator also.

Green eggs (as well as dark brown, etc) can be difficult because the shells are usually less porous and require much lower humidity throughout incubation. I would say they were definitely not fertile if a hen didn't hatch any. They know how to instinctively adjust.

Fans in incubators do help circulate the air to provide a more constant overall temperature. But many people prefer still-air. So its really a personal decision, I think. You will find pros and cons of both.

But good luck and keep trying!

Candled last night and found out that out of 9/12 eggs had veins and were growing!!! The 3 that didn't were infertile so we've done well despite my blunder. Hopefully we will have some chicks after all...... I have a few questions now that I figured out I didn't kill them all
1f602.png

I have a Little Giant incubator and I noticed two red plugs in the top. Does anyone know what these are for? Do I need to take them out or leave them in? Also my humidity has hung around 50-55% and were on day 7.... When do we need to increase that and by how much?

Thanks for all the info!!!! So far so good!!!!

Candled last night and found out that out of 9/12 eggs had veins and were growing!!! The 3 that didn't were infertile so we've done well despite my blunder. Hopefully we will have some chicks after all...... I have a few questions now that I figured out I didn't kill them all
1f602.png

I have a Little Giant incubator and I noticed two red plugs in the top. Does anyone know what these are for? Do I need to take them out or leave them in? Also my humidity has hung around 50-55% and were on day 7.... When do we need to increase that and by how much?

Thanks for all the info!!!! So far so good!!!!

Awesome!! :clap

Those plugs are for ventilation and co2 exchange. There are lots of theories on leaving one in for the initial days, removing one for some days, removing both at the end. I say remove the plugs the whole time. They need the ventilation and air exchange, so my vents are always fully open! And don't panic when you take them out. Humidity and temps may flux a bit, but will stabilize back out.

50-55% is quite high in my area, because we are very humid here, so I run mine around 30%. No water at all for the first 18 days! The best way to gage is to look at the air cells when you candle. They have to lose a good amount of moisture, or the chick will grow too large and not be able to zip out.

This chart shows how they should look at given days. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom