Incubator was off... are chicks dead?

Urbanfarmerkc

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
Last night asked my spouse to help me by turning my eggs before bed. This morning I see that he turned the incubator off and forgot to turn it back on. It sat for 9 hours with no heat. I have an old Leahy so it probably took several hours to cool down but it was all the way down to 73 degrees when I turned it back on. We are on week 2 for these eggs. So, what is your opinion? Dead chicks or still worth a try?

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
11 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
I agree..plug it back in and wait. They won't hatch on the original due date obviously, and it will likely hurt your hatch rate a bit, but you should still get some chicks.

vickie2133

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Corbin
I agree Plug it back up and let them finish out. My electric has went off before my heat in the incubator had gotten lower and I still had some hatch.

rancher hicks

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
You've nothing to lose just plug it back in.

In the future just lift the lid off carefully and turn the eggs. Even though I have a turner I like to give them a turn in the other direction once a day, for the first week. I put some packing tape on the sides of the lid to give me a better grip. Just make little handles by folding the tape back on itself.

Wish you a successful hatch,

rancher

paddock36

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Ocala, Florida
During one of my hatches last year the bulb blew out two different times and I found my incubator at 77 degrees each time. I thought for sure it was a total loss but I still had several chicks hatch. Don't give up hope. Lower temps are usually better than temp spikes.

Top Bottom