Incubator was off... are chicks dead?

Urbanfarmerkc

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
Last night asked my spouse to help me by turning my eggs before bed. This morning I see that he turned the incubator off and forgot to turn it back on. It sat for 9 hours with no heat. I have an old Leahy so it probably took several hours to cool down but it was all the way down to 73 degrees when I turned it back on. We are on week 2 for these eggs. So, what is your opinion? Dead chicks or still worth a try?

I agree..plug it back in and wait. They won't hatch on the original due date obviously, and it will likely hurt your hatch rate a bit, but you should still get some chicks.

I agree Plug it back up and let them finish out. My electric has went off before my heat in the incubator had gotten lower and I still had some hatch.

You've nothing to lose just plug it back in.

In the future just lift the lid off carefully and turn the eggs. Even though I have a turner I like to give them a turn in the other direction once a day, for the first week. I put some packing tape on the sides of the lid to give me a better grip. Just make little handles by folding the tape back on itself.

Wish you a successful hatch,

rancher

During one of my hatches last year the bulb blew out two different times and I found my incubator at 77 degrees each time. I thought for sure it was a total loss but I still had several chicks hatch. Don't give up hope. Lower temps are usually better than temp spikes.

Back
Top Bottom