incubator went up to 103....

This has happened to me the 3 times I have hatched chicks. What I have noticed is that their beaks seem to get stuck in the little pipped whole. At first I would help them out by opening it a little for them but they wouldn't make it. When I opened the eggs they would still have their yolk sacks attached. So when It happened the third time I hatched them I left them for an hour. When I saw no progress after that I began to open it bit by bit near the beak. and left them back in the incubator. Every half hour I would take just a bit more. Then I opened it enough to get their heads out and left them in the incubator and didn't touch them again.I guess waiting that long gave them enough time to close up inside the eggs. I was able to help 3 out that way. Now the reason I acted was because I would see others hatch and the ones I helped showed no improvement. I would also mist water in the incubator every time I opened it and my humidity level would only go down about 2%. I handled the eggs on a very warm wet cloth so they wouldn't dry out much. My grandma does it that way with her chicks and It worked me also.

To follow up on the two with bad legs/feet. You wouldn't believe what I am about to tell you... And my husband laughed at me... But I made them orthopedic boots made of cardboard and duct tape!!
One worked and he is now properly using his whole leg and foot!!! The o ther is now in pase two and had more sever problems. He is making progress, but its slower, def not one day like the other. Anyway, isn't that cool!?

This has happened to me the 3 times I have hatched chicks. What I have noticed is that their beaks seem to get stuck in the little pipped whole. At first I would help them out by opening it a little for them but they wouldn't make it. When I opened the eggs they would still have their yolk sacks attached. So when It happened the third time I hatched them I left them for an hour. When I saw no progress after that I began to open it bit by bit near the beak. and left them back in the incubator. Every half hour I would take just a bit more. Then I opened it enough to get their heads out and left them in the incubator and didn't touch them again.I guess waiting that long gave them enough time to close up inside the eggs. I was able to help 3 out that way. Now the reason I acted was because I would see others hatch and the ones I helped showed no improvement. I would also mist water in the incubator every time I opened it and my humidity level would only go down about 2%. I handled the eggs on a very warm wet cloth so they wouldn't dry out much. My grandma does it that way with her chicks and It worked me also.
Sally Sunshine has a great thread up about when to help chicks out of the shell. I suggest you look for it. If you see any yolk at all you are opening them up too early (and severely lessening their chances of survival).

I hope you were right in assisting them and that they turned out well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

First chick to hatch today from the 103 batch on second day came out this morning. No more pips yet, but when i candled last week they had almost completely filled in their eggs except for the air sac... So I'm thinking I should have 15 more today and tomorrow at some point. And I've already sold them to my sister! Yay! I have been saving the best for the past couple of weeks to throw in as soon as this batch is done. The incubator is so steady now and I'm excited to get these projects going!

Still only one but I see moving and rocking with some others. Dang it hatch already !!!! I hopE they ALL hatch while I'm sleeping!!!

I know the feeling! Eyes glued to the bator, just wanna reach in and help the poor lil egg. Paranoia of "oh my should I help" ya, I hate that part. Hope you get hatchlings soon! In the mean time if you haven't already I'd suggest reading this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
A guide to assisting a hatching egg if needed. I hear too many stories about eggs pipping but not hatching. Keep us posted!

Yes I've read that one!!! Loved it very helpful. I had to help one hatch last time and she is healthy in my back yard and laying her own eggs now. I went down to get pics and two more had hatched!!
I knew one was coming, but the other must have zipped fast! I increased the temp just a bit to encourage the rest!! I am leaving for five days tomorrow and I need to have this done!

Also, first guy has been in there for 24 hours... Should i take him out and give him water and food?

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Chicks can survive for 48 hours without food and water-but to avoid stress you could take him out. He sure is cute:)

Back
Top Bottom