Incubator

Karen27

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Hi,
So got up last night to find the incubator had been unplugged by accident I am guessing for about 4 hours .The humidity was at 72 % and the temp was down low 80's . I am concerned because I have eggs close to lockdown . Has anyone had this happen and if so what was the outcome ?

Thanks

Just get it back up to temp, and carry on. I'm concerned about your high humidity. Has it been running that high throughout? How does the size of your air cells look? If they're on the small size according to the charts, you might want to dry it out, and hatch the eggs upright in cartons, if that doesn't put them closer to the heating element. You might want to read Hatching Eggs 101 in the learning center if you haven't already. Lots of info there that will help you to be successful.

Hi, Thank you for the advice . And no I had the humidity running perfectly at 45% I do that until lockdown then I try to maintain 65% . I was shocked to see the humidity had gone up that high .,its back down to 45% right now . I will check the aircells as well . I have had a couple of successful hatches so far. Also I posted a question yesterday but no one answered maybe you can help with that question . I have 6 new chicks and 3 of them seem to be breathing a little stressed but acting completely normal eating drinking running around they are almost 2 weeks old . I was asking about the VetRX and the Terra vet 10 meds and which is better to use ? Is it normal for them to have some issues with breathing in the beginning?

No, it's not normal for them to have breathing issues early on. I've never dealt with respiratory issues, so don't know how to advise. Where and how are you brooding them? Heat lamp? Heating pad cave? What temp? Sometimes if they're too warm, they will pant. Any time a chick pants, you've got an issue that needs to be addressed right away, IMO. Karen, what is your hatching % rate? Are you hatching your own eggs, local or shipped? Wishing you the best.

I have been hatching shipped eggs mostly getting a 50% hatch rate . I was using a 250 watt heat bulb but switched to a 100 watt red bulb . IDK they are acting completely normal eating ,drinking and running around like chicks do . Right now they are in a very long cardboard box I I put two together and they are in my den/family room .

What's the temp in their box under the light and at the other end? They should be able to get away from the heat with the temp down to room temp at the far end of the brooder. I no longer use a heat lamp, and have switched to heating pad brooding with wonderful results. Check out Blooie's Mama Heating Pad Cave thread.

Hi,
I did read about the heating pad I actually have one that has a high med and low setting what do you typically keep yours at ?

Most of us use the Sunbeam Xpress pad. It has 6 heat levels, and a bypass switch so you can set it to stay on 24/7. The power supply is detachable and the pad can be machine washed. An other great feature! Most brands of the newer heating pads have a safety off feature that typically kicks in after 2 hours. But if yours is an older model, you could play around with the low setting to see if that gives you the right temp. Babies seem to be happy if the interior of the cave is 85* initially, and they can touch the pad with their backs. I'd be concerned about the older models as they cycle on and off to maintain temp, and the on cycle might be too warm.

So for the Sunbeam Xpress pad what setting do you start out with . I think I will try to get that one

Back
Top Bottom