Incubator

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So the passing of my drake, Nibbler has me wanting to have a new generation of some of my current flock

In particular Peep, who was nibbler’s best friend and were raised together

Since I got my new drake, Howard, there has been some sweet duck loving going on and a couple of the eggs I have collected have been fertilized. So I was wanting to try hatching a couple eggs or so

What is a good, not too expensive, low maintenance incubator that people use? Are there any that control the humidity for you?

Random pictures of the flock for your enjoyment 112EF198-9DE3-4698-B730-8FCCDFB7D2AE.jpeg 69FD1DB1-0438-4EA4-80FE-78B5F2F7D1F5.jpeg F5F1DC57-9C9C-4590-A2D4-98DB1E91B899.jpeg FD687A9C-01F7-4015-B357-B1DBD19AB810.jpeg 21E6368A-42A5-4B19-BC17-57B991940AD0.jpeg

I bought this one on Amazon and just got 6/10 duck eggs from my own flock to hatch. I'd never hatched anything or done anything with an incubator before. Was a learning experience, but the incubator was fairly easy to use and from what I've been told 6/10 is great. I still used mini thermometer thingies to measure the temp and humidity, in addition to what the incubator said.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793HHZ1L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I have a Safego incubator. It does not have humidity controls; only a reservoir under the eggs tray. Since this is hard to monitor once the eggs are in, I use a plastic container for water on the egg tray. The incubator holt a stable temperature to within 1/10th of a degree. It works very well in hatching duck eggs. The incubator has gone up in price. I think it sells on ebay for around $50.

I’m a Brinsea fan, but for a more affordable alternative, I love like my Nurture Right 360. (Like inidianaducks linked above). Many Tractor Supply stores carry it in stock, it usually runs about $120-150. The view is the absolute best!
Just be sure to calibrate the temperature before using. The turner should be ok for the size eggs you get, I’m assuming on the large side, from the looks of your beautiful girls. I don’t believe they have developed a larger turner, but theirs is bigger than most others.

I would also say to avoid the cheap imports, and the styrofoam models. Some folks have luck with them, but overall, less than stellar results are reported here.

I have a Safego incubator. It does not have humidity controls; only a reservoir under the eggs tray. Since this is hard to monitor once the eggs are in, I use a plastic container for water on the egg tray. The incubator holt a stable temperature to within 1/10th of a degree. It works very well in hatching duck eggs. The incubator has gone up in price. I think it sells on ebay for around $50.
I had a safego. I had got it when I started raising ducks but never had fertilized eggs so just put it away. pulled it out recently and I has a crack in it and it doesn’t rotate anymore to turn the eggs. So figured I’d look for a decent replacement.

I’m a Brinsea fan, but for a more affordable alternative, I love like my Nurture Right 360. (Like inidianaducks linked above). Many Tractor Supply stores carry it in stock, it usually runs about $120-150. The view is the absolute best!
Just be sure to calibrate the temperature before using. The turner should be ok for the size eggs you get, I’m assuming on the large side, from the looks of your beautiful girls. I don’t believe they have developed a larger turner, but theirs is bigger than most others.

I would also say to avoid the cheap imports, and the styrofoam models. Some folks have luck with them, but overall, less than stellar results are reported here.
The nurture right 360 is one I was looking at. Howard is a jumbo pekin and Peep is either a fairly large Pekin or a smaller jumbo pekin as well. And her eggs are massive. I can tell which ones are hers heh. So was worried the eggs may be too big but it’s the one I was leaning towards

The nurture right 360 is one I was looking at. Howard is a jumbo pekin and Peep is either a fairly large Pekin or a smaller jumbo pekin as well. And her eggs are massive. I can tell which ones are hers heh. So was worried the eggs may be too big but it’s the one I was leaning towards
I only raise bantams now, and I can’t remember if I had the NR when I had big ducks. Maybe someone else can comment on how well big eggs fit, but I’m pretty sure they do ok.
Hand turning daily could be another option, if you have the time.

I only raise bantams now, and I can’t remember if I had the NR when I had big ducks. Maybe someone else can comment on how well big eggs fit, but I’m pretty sure they do ok.
Hand turning daily could be another option, if you have the time.
My nurture right 360 just hatched 6/10 duck eggs and I used the automatic turning tray. I had decently sized duck eggs. I still marked the eggs and verified they were turning periodically. Really large duck eggs may not work with the turning tray, but the ones I incubated were definitely larger than my mallard eggs or my neighbor's chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom