incubator

crsect

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
I had to stop lurking and get on here and share the news with people who care. I get my incubator tomorrow and I have 16 eggs set aside for it. I just got my pharaoh quail about a month ago 1m 2f and its been going so well I decided to get an incubator and get this thing really going... Just had to get it out there :)

I hope you have great success. With only two hens, your first eggs are approaching the outside limit of fertility (since they would have been laid 8 or 9 days ago, and by the time you get your bator up and running--which you should do for at least several hours if not a day--they will be even older, but depending on how they were stored, they could hatch. If you want to continue hatching after this batch, you might want to consider buying some hatching eggs to introduce some new genes into your line.

Keep us posted.

UGCM

I had to stop lurking and get on here and share the news with people who care. I get my incubator tomorrow and I have 16 eggs set aside for it. I just got my pharaoh quail about a month ago 1m 2f and its been going so well I decided to get an incubator and get this thing really going... Just had to get it out there :)

Exciting! But yes, get them in the bator asap. Keep us posted. Oh by the way, this is where it starts.... you will get addicted to hatching! Lol

Thanks for the info. I am aware at least in theory of the challenges ahead but from evey thing I have read so far the general consensus is to give it a go if they hatch they hatch. I do plan on buying more eggs to add more genetic stock, kind of shocked me at first reading about some inbreeding may be normal :eek: don't really know how to feel about that

Update...
So it has been almost a week now. I candled the eggs this morning I will refer to the pointed end as bottom and the rounded end as top.
So I could see a red glow at the top and the light at the bottom pretty much was opaque white. I am very excited there are only 3 eggs out of the batch that show no red glow.
All but 2 or 3 of these eggs came out of the refrigerator and maybe half of them were starting to get past the prime time for incubation.

I know I still have a little way to go with them and that none of them may hatch but it’s exciting to see some progress all the same.
I bought the hovabator genesis with auto turner and quail racks,
even with fluctuations in temperature in my house it still maintains right at 100 degrees and 50% humidity I just have to add water every so often.
So umm yeah I am super excited!

Back
Top Bottom