Incubators Anonymous

Pics
I only stress about the ones I don't get rid of....

what is the hatch a batch app?
I use hatch a batch, it's a free app that I got for my Samsung. You create a batch, it gives you whatever udates you want on day 7, 10, 15 etc. As many or as few. It tells you what the embryo is doing on that day. It tells you when to candle, when to lock down etc. It lets you add notes. I add how many eggs I set, then add notes for clears I pull etc.

It was a free app that I found in the google store. I believe there is something similar with the Iphone.

Kathy

Mine came from Crescent City, CA.  I've limited my ebay searches to local breeders only, just to see if that helps.  Crescent City is only about 700 miles, so it's not too local.  But at least it's not crossing state lines...lol

My problem is, I threw all the babies into 1 brooder.  There are 39 in there now.  I don't know which chicks are which breed.  I'm going to have to let them grow up a little first.  I want to keep at least 1 girl from each breed.  I'm trying to get a wider variety of chickens (entertainment value only).  If I can get an auto sexing breed, I might consider keeping a rooster and trying to breed them.  At this point, I'm only breeding silkies.  

How do you part with all the babies?  That's what I"m stressing about....

Kathy

It's not too hard to let the babies go...as long as I have a healthy dose that are staying lol. My last hatch had surprise lavender ameraucanas. No way I was selling them! There's my dose. Plus the mottled black turkeys I just hatched, my new variety so I can justify selling the Bourbon buff poults lol

Yikes my electric went out. I'm on day 8 of incubation. I frantically watched the temp drop to 81 in one while the other read 77.the electric is back on now. Out from 725 until 819.I have some of those hand warmers but didn't get them on the eggs before the electric came back on. It came on just as I got here from the store and taking the kid to school ( he was as worried about my eggs as I am). By the time they get heated back up do you think it was long enough to hurt any of them? There are only 10 eggs all were alive and moving last night! Oh my gosh 2 more weeks of this!

Yikes my electric went out. I'm on day 8 of incubation. I frantically watched the temp drop to 81 in one while the other read 77.the electric is back on now. Out from 725 until 819.I have some of those hand warmers but didn't get them on the eggs before the electric came back on. It came on just as I got here from the store and taking the kid to school ( he was as worried about my eggs as I am). By the time they get heated back up do you think it was long enough to hurt any of them? There are only 10 eggs all were alive and moving last night! Oh my gosh 2 more weeks of this!

It isn't much different than a broody hen getting off the nest for an extended period early during the incubation process. I have had the power off for up to 4 hours without any apparent ill effects. The earlier it happens in the process the less harm it does as far as I have seen.

Good luck.

I am going to agree with R2elk, again, on this 45 minutes is not much time for a drop.. Did you open the incubator? What kind is it? that seems like a huge drop for 45 minutes. That said the hen will leave the nest for that long to search for food and water. Ethel would disappear during incubating time for days then come spend an hour or two in the yard, until she could slip away again. She always had a hatch.

Cold is way better than hot on the eggs. If the incubator had failed to the hot side for that time, you could kiss them good bye. cold, no big deal.

R2elk, A question for you..

I am thinking of building a hatcher using the herpstat. Do you think I should have a wafer in there to prevent over heating or is that over kill with the herpstat?

R2elk, A question for you..

I am thinking of building a hatcher using the herpstat. Do you think I should have a wafer in there to prevent over heating or is that over kill with the herpstat?

The wafer went out in my 1202 and it is doing just fine running with the Herpstat. They are so reliable that you will probably do fine without a wafer. Especially since a hatcher typically doesn't get run for more than 4 days per batch at a time.

The wafer went out in my 1202 and it is doing just fine running with the Herpstat. They are so reliable that you will probably do fine without a wafer. Especially since a hatcher typically doesn't get run for more than 4 days per batch at a time.

Thanks I kind of thought so but was not sure.

I see a lot of cheaper thermostats on Amazon, but I wonder how true they hold and if I really want to trust them with hatching eggs. I do plan to put them in both the 1202's this summer when I stop hatching..

Which believe it or not is winding down. I am no longer collecting BA eggs and I think I have enough Turkey eggs for this year in the incubator, but I am still collecting them. I may sell them on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom