Incubators Anonymous

I called the company and they didn't think it should have that much difference either. They may have to send me a new top. I am also trying to heat up that room (can't heat the whole house that much) to see if warmer air being drawn in from the vents at the bottom of the incubator will make a difference. I had an email from Richard Jordon where my eggs are coming from and he says to set the eggs at 40-45% humidity for the Cream Legbars. The humidity readings are pretty much all the same within a few degrees now, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just working on the temp.
I have hatched CCL at much lower humidity just fine. What I have found is LOW humidity does not seem to make an impact for the negative in hatching, but HIGH humidity will drown more chicks.....

So, my eggs arrived yesterday. Am SOOOO mad at the post office. They were suppose to call me for pick up, but NOOOO they delivered them to the house! We live in the back roads of the North GA mountains and the mail truck has to go miles and miles on dirt roads to get to me! And posted all across the top of the box, was "Hold for Customer pick up....call upon arrivial!" I candled the 6 eggs this morning and 3 looked like the air sacs was NOT intact....all floaty looking! BOOOOO! One CL egg looked good (out of 4) and the two Isbar eggs were iffy...couldn't see very well. I set them all anyway and will candle for life on day 10. I did number the eggs and wrote down which ones I thought were already dead....that way I can learn and see if I was right or not.

Finally got my incubator working well. All three thermometers/hydometers are within 1 # difference. Something must have been stuck on the built in thermometer because when I tried a different setting it went way high and I worked the numbers back down to the original number and all the sudden everything was in sink(sp?) with each other! (This was all done before I added any eggs, BTW.)

Anyway, wish me luck that I at least get one of each chick! Next time, I will make sure the PO holds the eggs!!!!! Will have a long talk with my postman.

Set my eggs today at 8:55am....it is now 2:30pm. Why does time go by so slow when you are waiting for something!!!! It is going to be a looooooog 21 day!!!! wahhhhaaaa!

You know you have a problem when you have batches of eggs set up thru march. Its a good thing I have a 10 egg incubator
hide.gif

So, my eggs arrived yesterday. Am SOOOO mad at the post office. They were suppose to call me for pick up, but NOOOO they delivered them to the house! We live in the back roads of the North GA mountains and the mail truck has to go miles and miles on dirt roads to get to me! And posted all across the top of the box, was "Hold for Customer pick up....call upon arrivial!" I candled the 6 eggs this morning and 3 looked like the air sacs was NOT intact....all floaty looking! BOOOOO! One CL egg looked good (out of 4) and the two Isbar eggs were iffy...couldn't see very well. I set them all anyway and will candle for life on day 10. I did number the eggs and wrote down which ones I thought were already dead....that way I can learn and see if I was right or not.

Finally got my incubator working well. All three thermometers/hydometers are within 1 # difference. Something must have been stuck on the built in thermometer because when I tried a different setting it went way high and I worked the numbers back down to the original number and all the sudden everything was in sink(sp?) with each other! (This was all done before I added any eggs, BTW.)

Anyway, wish me luck that I at least get one of each chick! Next time, I will make sure the PO holds the eggs!!!!! Will have a long talk with my postman.

Since the air sacs are detached you may want to consider not turning them for a few days. There is a slight chance they will be ok as long as they are sitting upright. Of course, if there is more damage beyond just air cell detachment there's not much you can do about that. Sorry about the PO, you never know, they may have been damaged earlier on in the trip also. It's just so hard to tell and there are so many things that can go wrong during the journey. Will be keeping fingers crossed that they'll be ok!

ok, since I am new to incubating, I have some questions. I know this is probably a dumb question and it should be obvious, but here goes:

I set my eggs on 12-13-12 at 8:55am. So do I count the days starting from the 13th or the 14th? So what would be my lock down date? The 31st or the 1st of Jan? And they would hatch on the 3rd of Jan. right? Lock down is on day 19 right, which in my case would be Jan 1? Sorry, I thought I was smarter than this!!! LOL!

Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom