Incubators Anonymous

Hey yall we are putting together a byc map. This is open to everyone so please spread the links around. The map will be updated every other day or so depending on how many people sign up and how fast our workload grows. the signup sheet is HERE And the map can be found HERE

ok, since I am new to incubating, I have some questions. I know this is probably a dumb question and it should be obvious, but here goes:

I set my eggs on 12-13-12 at 8:55am. So do I count the days starting from the 13th or the 14th? So what would be my lock down date? The 31st or the 1st of Jan? And they would hatch on the 3rd of Jan. right? Lock down is on day 19 right, which in my case would be Jan 1? Sorry, I thought I was smarter than this!!! LOL!

Thanks for any help.
lockdown is 18 days (for chickens), so you'd go in lockdown the 31st and hatch by the 3rd.

but you find after doing it a while, each incubator has it's own 'personality' of sorts. my lower incubator tends to hatch about 12 hours sooner than the top, and i have better results with both of mine, if i hold off raising the humidity until day 19 (but stop turning on day 18). but then again i also use a separate hatcher, which allows me to rotate hatches up to about every 3-5 days if i wanted to...

lockdown is 18 days (for chickens), so you'd go in lockdown the 31st and hatch by the 3rd.

but you find after doing it a while, each incubator has it's own 'personality' of sorts. my lower incubator tends to hatch about 12 hours sooner than the top, and i have better results with both of mine, if i hold off raising the humidity until day 19 (but stop turning on day 18). but then again i also use a separate hatcher, which allows me to rotate hatches up to about every 3-5 days if i wanted to...
...someone just admitted to being a hatching addict
lau.gif

Most all the eggs I set have hatched
jumpy.gif
I am shocked really. I set over 40 but some were clear. I had 20 chicks when I left. 1 CCL pullet 1 BLRW, 4 Project chicks, and the rest were Marans from my roo that died. All but 3 I think had hatched. 1 other had pipped... so I have not given up hope for the others yet. BUT very happy with that hatch. I have one more batch from that roo due Sunday. Hopefully I will have some good chicks to pick from.

I am really excited about next years birds. I have several project chicks growing out that should help some of the breeds I have and some new BIGGER roos coming. Stay tuned for some new breeding pens next year
yippiechickie.gif

HOW CAN YOU GUYS STAND IT??? My eggs have been in the incubator for 7 days now!! I'm an going nuts. I think I have gone into that room and stared at that machine a million times. I mean I just stand there for minutes at a time just looking like I'm suppose to see one of those little guys wave at me or something!!!! Can you tell this is my first time incubating! hahahha. Will candle for life on Sat pm when my family comes in for Christmas! Hope there is something to see......the eggs took a beating getting to me. Only 6 in there, but more coming in January. But hopefully some of these 6 will hatch....they are cream legbars and Isbars. A gift from my son's girlfriend. Ugggg....waiting!!!!!

HOW CAN YOU GUYS STAND IT??? My eggs have been in the incubator for 7 days now!! I'm an going nuts. I think I have gone into that room and stared at that machine a million times. I mean I just stand there for minutes at a time just looking like I'm suppose to see one of those little guys wave at me or something!!!! Can you tell this is my first time incubating! hahahha. Will candle for life on Sat pm when my family comes in for Christmas! Hope there is something to see......the eggs took a beating getting to me. Only 6 in there, but more coming in January. But hopefully some of these 6 will hatch....they are cream legbars and Isbars. A gift from my son's girlfriend. Ugggg....waiting!!!!!
No I can't stand it either, I try not to check mine because I have to open doors and the temp drops a lot but i can see the few I have on the top shelf so I get to see some but they are not due until the middle of January. No we don't have a problem even if someone says you do don't listen.

Dear Incubating addicts ,

Hi Foul lovers , Grins had to say it but i need some advice about my new adventure with the turkey eggs

they came in many cracked so the insides where soaking up in the paper towels and some of them on other eggs

some eggs are dirty i know not to wash them but can i scratch some of it off after the 24 hr getting used to my temp ?

Please pm me with any and all advivce i do nto blame the seller as the idiot Postal worker could not read and had the box on its side . Tammy

Dear Incubating addicts ,

Hi Foul lovers , Grins had to say it but i need some advice about my new adventure with the turkey eggs

they came in many cracked so the insides where soaking up in the paper towels and some of them on other eggs

some eggs are dirty i know not to wash them but can i scratch some of it off after the 24 hr getting used to my temp ?

Please pm me with any and all advice i do not blame the seller as the idiot Postal worker could not read and had the box on its side . Tammy
Washing them off wont hurt them. I wash 90% of my eggs. It hasn't effected my hatch rate negatively at all

Back
Top Bottom